The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Oakland University Police Department: Police Officer (4 openings) Entry Level or Lateral Transfer Closing Date: November 1, 2022
July 01, 2022
Oakland University Police Department: Police Officer (4 openings) Entry Level or Lateral Transfer
DEDICATION, VIGILANCE, RESPECT. The Oakland University Police Department is a fully sworn law enforcement agency and authorized to employ 23 full-time police officers from state certified police academies. The Department offers special assignments including, evidence technicians, FTO?s, Bike Patrol, Firearms Instructors, and Community Engagement etc. The Oakland University Police Department is currently seeking qualified applicants for full-time position(s) for police officer. We offer competitive wages and benefits, which include the following:
Wages and Benefits:
- Starting wage: $44,588, Top wage after 5 years: $67,455
- Two tax-deferred, defined contribution retirement plans are currently available (TIAA and Fidelity). Oakland University shall contribute 13% of each participating employee's base salary on a monthly basis.
- If an employee contributes zero percent of base pay the University will make a 10% of base pay contribution
- If the employee contributes 3% of the base pay the University will make a 13% base pay contribution
- Healthcare package: Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverages for Officer and Eligible Dependents
- Police Officers receive free tuition and dependents or spouses are 50% off
- Free Recreation and Athletic Center Membership
- External load bearing ballistic vests
- Facial hair and tattoos permitted
- Paid Holidays (11)
- Vacation Leave (accrual of 4.62 hours per pay period
- Sick pay (accrual of 4.00 hours per pay period)
- 48 hours of Personal Time
- Overtime opportunities available
- 12 Hour shifts
- All uniforms, equipment and dry cleaning provided at no expense to the employee
- Life Insurance
- Long Term and Short Term Disability Coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
Duties and Responsibilities:
- First line representative of Oakland University to create and maintain a positive working relationship with the diverse University community through community policing principles.
- Work 12 hour shifts performing building checks, security patrols, traffic control, parking enforcement, traffic accident investigation, and first aid response to medical emergencies, detention, investigation and arrest of persons involved in crimes or misconduct.
- Participate in investigating criminal law violations occurring within the University limits, obtaining evidence, reviewing video footage, and compiling information regarding these crimes, testifying in court when necessary and related activities pertaining to criminal prosecution.
- Carry out the duties in conformance with State and Federal law while ensuring the public's constitutional rights are upheld.
- This position requires substantial contact with the general public and the Oakland University Police Department prides itself on its community policing practices.
Lateral Transfer Starting Pay (Available based on years of service)
A candidate for a Police Officer position may, at the discretion of the Chief, receive credit for previous full-time road patrol experience based on the following chart:
1 year of experience Starting Pay: $44,588
2-3 years of experience Step 1: $48,627
4-5 years of experience Step 2: $52,711
6-7 years of experience Step 3: $56,816
8-9 years of experience Step 4: $60,878
10+ years of experience Step 5: $67,455
- Associates degree or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Licensed or licensable by MCOLES as a police officer or planning to attend MCOLES certified training academy
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and be 21 years or older at the time of employment
- Must possess or be able to obtain by time of hire, a valid Sate driver's license
- No felony convictions and/or disqualifying criminal history
- Must be able to read and write the English language
- Must be of good moral character
- Ability to successfully complete all phases of the selection process
Fill out the Oakland University Human Resources Application along with a cover letter and resume by going to this https://jobs.oakland.edu/postings/25315
A copy of the OUPD -Police Office Association of Michigan (POAM) contract can be found here https://oakland.edu/Assets/Oakland/uhr/files-and-documents/Employee-Manuals/POAM%20Contract%202017-2022%20Extension.pdf
Oakland University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Act a copy of the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report can be found here https://oakland.edu/Assets/Oakland/police/files-and-documents/Clery%202020-J.pdf
Closing Date: 11/01/2022
Website Link: https://jobs.oakland.edu/postings/25315