The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians: Full-time Police Officer Closing Date: September 30, 2022
July 07, 2022
Job Title: TRIBAL POLICE OFFICER
Department: Pokagon Band Tribal Police Department
Reports to: Chief of Police
Level/Status: Non-Exempt PB-7 Full-Time
Hiring Wage: $24.50-$32.36 DOE; $1,500 bonus upon completion of FTO
Provide for a safe, welcome, and orderly environment for the Pokagon Band of Potawatomi community, defend the sovereignty of the Band and the rights of all the people in its jurisdiction, and assist in improving the quality of life for all Tribal Citizens.
The Pokagon Band Tribal Police Department is a full-service police agency that serves the Pokagon Band Tribal Community in Southwest Michigan as well as Northwest Indiana, including all 4 Four Winds Casino resort locations, and other Tribally-owned lands. Officers are required to maintain MCOLES license, a Special Law Enforcement Commission from the Bureau of Indian Affairs and be cross deputized with Berrien, Cass and Van Buren County Sherriff's Departments in Michigan, as well as with St. Joseph County Indiana.
- Patrol assigned area to control/monitor traffic and prevent crime.
- Coordinate the investigation of criminal cases and violations involving hunting and fishes.
- Warn or arrest persons violating the laws and issue tickets to violators.
- Provide police response to calls for service and assistance.
- Apply the appropriate level of direction and control to protect life, property, facilities and maintain public peace and order at public gatherings and events.
- Direct and control traffic around accidents and other disruptions as needed.
- Provide first aide at the scene of accidents, medical assistance calls, domestic violence calls, and as needed in other situations.
- Maintain daily activity report and logs, prepare accident and incident reports, and direct the preparation, handling, and maintenance of departmental records.
- Assume responsibility for proper maintenance of personal equipment and vehicles assigned for patrol.
- Cooperate with court personnel and officials from other law enforcement agencies and testify in court as necessary.
- Represent the department in the community and various events.
- Assist other local police agencies with calls.
- Assist area police departments in carrying out their functions.
- Perform other related functions as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Associates Degree or equivalent sponsorship required. Degree must be from an accredited institution whose program of study has been recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or the United States Department of Education; equivalent sponsorship must be from a Police Department.
- Completion of Police Academy training preferred. Must have successfully passed basic recruit training and firearms qualifications.
- Must meet requirements of Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) or obtain MCOLES Certification within a reasonable amount of time.
- Bureau of Indiana Affairs Special Deputation Training and Certification required or obtain within a reasonable amount of time.
- Ability to rigorous physical examination and background check required.
- Experience working with Native American communities preferred.
- Proficiency with MS Office Applications required.
Pokagon Band Preference Code applies.
EMPLOYER BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
The Pokagon Band offers a competitive base salary and benefits package that includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance and MERS Defined Benefit Pension Plan, Paid Time Off (PTO), 15 Paid Holidays per year, and a robust Employee Assistance Program.
Additional Life Insurances, Long Term Disability and AFLAC
Closing Date: 09/30/2022
Contact Person: Laura Desilets
Website Link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=0528a983-eff0-40d1-9539-1ae4fdee6aff&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US