The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Township of Kalamazoo Police Department: Entry Level or Lateral Pay Transfer - Full Time Police Officer Closing Date: March 31, 2023
September 01, 2022
The Township of Kalamazoo is located in southwest Michigan, in Kalamazoo County. TKPD serves a population of approximately 24,000 residents within 12 square miles. TKPD also provides policing services for the City of Parchment. TKPD has an authorized strength of 45 sworn officers. Assignments include the Patrol Division, Criminal Investigation Unit, South West Enforcement Team (SWET) – MSP narcotics task force, Southwest Commercial Auto Recovery (SCAR) – MSP auto theft task force, School Resource Officers, Borgess Hospital Liaison Officer, Kalamazoo Metro S.W.A.T., Community Policing Unit, and more.
The Township of Kalamazoo Police Department is accepting applications for qualified candidates who are highly motivated and career oriented. The minimum requirements are:
- Be 18 years of age
- Be a high school graduate or have a G.E.D. (college degree strongly preferred)
- Have no felony convictions; misdemeanors will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Possess a valid driver's license and good driving record
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Successfully complete all phases of the selection process
- Be MCOLES licensed or licensable
- Lateral pay up to $35.13 per hour
- Candidates currently attending a police academy may qualify to have educational costs reimbursed
- TKPD is a marijuana-free workplace
BENEFITS & WAGES
- Police Officer 1 starting salary in 2022 is $48,048.00 ($23.10/hour)
- Top pay after 5 years of service in 2022 is $73,070.40 ($35.13/hour)
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and optical
- Retiree health care provided
- Pension-Municipal Employees' Retirement System B4 - MERS Defined Benefit (2.5% multiplier per year of service)
- Personal Time - 24 hours per year
- Vacation Time - 1 to 3 years – 112 hours; 4 to 9 years – 168 hours; 9+ years – 240 hours
- Comp Time - Maintain up to 75 hours
- Sick Time - 96 hours per year
- Holidays - 10 per year (including floating holiday): when working a holiday pay is double time and a half. Shifts go to minimum staffing on holidays. If off due to the shift going to minimum staffing on a scheduled holiday you earn vacation time and are paid straight time for that day. If not scheduled for a holiday, you still earn vacation time for not working that day. You can earn an additional 100 hours of vacation by not working holidays in any given year.
- Flexible time off approval. Shifts are staffed with 5 officers per day with a minimum staffing of 3. Time off may be granted at any time, including the day of the shift, as long as minimum shift strength is met and there are no special considerations for the day.
- Continued education benefit - 50% tuition reimbursement
- Uniform, dry cleaning and equipment provided
- Annual equipment allowance of $300
- Longevity pay
- Fitness incentive of $200 per year
- Quality training that goes beyond required annual qualifications
To be considered for this position, complete an application, along with a resume and cover letter, to: email@example.com
Application information can be found at: https://www.ktwp.org/police-employment-opportunities/
If selected, you will be contacted and invited to take a written test. The Township of Kalamazoo Police Department is committed to a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. We will continue to accept applications until all positions are filled.
Closing Date: 03-31-2023
Contact Person: Lieutenant Darien Smith
Website Link: https://www.ktwp.org/police-employment-opportunities/