The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Grand Valley State University Police Department: Public Safety Officer Closing Date: October 17, 2022
October 03, 2022
This is a uniformed and armed police position charged with enforcing state/local laws and the rules of the university. Patrols the campus in a marked unit. Responds to emergency calls for service. Arrest and issue citations as necessary. Provide backup assistance when dispatched.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Associate's Degree and/or equivalent experience.
- Applicants must be currently MCOLES certified or licensable as a police officer as defined by MCOLES at time of hire.
- Valid State of Michigan driver’s license with an acceptable traffic record.
- No criminal record, which will question credibility or public trust, expected of an officer.
- Possess good moral character as determined by a favorable comprehensive background investigation.
- Physical, mental and emotional ability to execute duties.
- Available to work any shift.
- Knowledge of current laws, standards and police procedures. Ability to learn and operate all communication equipment.
- Ability to maintain a satisfactory work performance and attendance record.
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- This is a uniformed and armed police position charged with enforcing state/local laws and the rules of the university.
- Patrols the campus in a marked unit.
- Responds to emergency calls for service.
- Arrest and issue citations as necessary.
- Provide backup assistance when dispatched.
- Provide first aid, scene control and/or coordination between backup units, ambulance and hospitals.
- Respond to and investigate complaints as received or as department requires.
- Testify at court and subsequent hearings.
- Serve subpoenas and warrants as requested.
- Revise and update all complaint reports and perform further actions as appropriate.
- Keep supervisor informed of progress.
- Provide surveillance of campus environment and report any unusual and/or unsafe conditions.
- Responsible for the safety and protection of the campus community, its personnel and property.
- Provide parking and crowd control at campus events.
- Act as a liaison between campus community and area law enforcement agencies.
- Responsible for care and maintenance of all equipment issued by the department.
- Willingness to exhibit proper attitude and demeanor to establish and maintain good public relations.
- Attend and complete by demonstrating proficiency all required in-service training programs which includes Medical First Responder training and certification.
- Performs other similar and related duties as directed by supervisor.
Applicants that make it past the initial screening will be required to complete and submit a personal history statement form provided by the Department of Public Safety.
For information on the steps involved in the hiring process, please visit our website at www.gvsu.edu/gvpd/recruitment.
Salary: Starting at $26.22 per hour
Department/Division: Public Safety
Campus: Allendale / Grand Rapids
How To Apply:
Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Opening Date: 10/03/2022
Closing Date: 10/17/2022
Grand Valley State University Police Department
Contact: Captain Khatir