The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
City of Southfield: Licensed Police Officer Closing Date: April 30, 2023
October 18, 2022
The City of Southfield is currently seeking qualified candidates for the following full-time career position:
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Licensed Police Officer
SALARY RANGE: Salary range: $51,820 - $82,766
Licensed Officers starting pay range: 0-1 yrs. exp. - $51,820; 2-4 yrs. exp.- $67,293; 5+ yrs. exp. -$75,030;
(*Years of qualifying work experience as a Certified Police Officer as determined by City of Southfield, and based on the eligibility list certification date)
Excellent benefit package, including medical, dental, vision, retirement, holidays, vacation, and more.
Certified Police Officers are eligible to receive a $5,000 hiring bonus contingent on the successful completion of a one- year probationary period. Those that receive the bonus must remain employed with the City of Southfield Police Department for a period of three years or else are subject to repay the amount of the bonus.
JOB REQUIREMENTS – AS DETERMINED BY THE CITY OF SOUTHFIELD
- Must be Licensed as a law enforcement officer at the time of application.
- Must be currently employed as a sworn Police Officer in “good standing” or have successfully completed a FTO program or if recently separated from service (e.g. laid-off or retired) must have been an officer in “good standing” at the time of separation. **Good standing is not separation in lieu of termination**
- Must be a U. S. citizen and a high school graduate or equivalent.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position as required by the Southfield Police Department, including operation of motor vehicles and other equipment.
- Must have no felony convictions and no record of serious misdemeanor convictions and be of good moral character.
- Valid Michigan Driver's license. Out-of-state licenses accepted provided applicant can obtain a Michigan license.
- Good driving record as determined by the City of Southfield's standards.
- Must be able to meet the MCOLES Employment Standards.
The selection process will include the completion of a City of Southfield application packet, a review of the applicant’s qualifications, an oral board interview, a level 4 background investigation, a psychological exam, and a pre-hire physical. Each step of the process must be passed before the applicant will be moved to the next step.
This is a “continuous” recruitment. Applications will be accepted until there are sufficient applicants to meet the City’s recruitment needs. As such, interested persons should make application promptly.
This announcement is only a summary of the position, its duties, job requirements and compensation. Further information is available from the Human Resources Department. The City of Southfield does not discriminate in its employment or any other programs or activities on the basis, of sex, race, color, age, height, weight, marital status, national origin, religion, arrest record, physical or mental disability, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected category. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with a disability if requested.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/V/H, DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Individuals with special needs who may require assistance with the application process should contact the Human Resources Department at (248) 796-4700 (voice) or via email at email@example.com if auxiliary aids or services are needed. Reasonable advance notice is required.
Closing Date: 04/30/2023
Sergeant Ryan Losh
26000 Evergreen Rd., Southfield MI 48076