The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Township of Kalamazoo Police Department: Academy Sponsorship - Full Time Police Officer Closing Date: June 14, 2023
December 15, 2022
The Township of Kalamazoo is located in southwest Michigan, in Kalamazoo County. TKPD serves a population of approximately 24,000 residents within 12 square miles. TKPD also provides policing services for the City of Parchment. TKPD has an authorized strength of 45 sworn officers. Assignments include the Patrol Division, Criminal Investigation Unit, South West Enforcement Team (SWET) – MSP narcotics task force, Southwest Commercial Auto Recovery (SCAR) – MSP auto theft task force, School Resource Officers, Borgess Hospital Liaison Officer, Kalamazoo Metro S.W.A.T., Community Policing Unit, and more. Over 50% of the 45 sworn officers are assigned to specialty positions.
The Township of Kalamazoo Police Department is accepting applications for qualified candidates who are highly motivated and career oriented. The minimum requirements for sponsorship are:
- Be 18 years of age
- Be a high school graduate or have a G.E.D. (college degree strongly preferred)
- Have no felony convictions; misdemeanors will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Possess a valid driver's license and good driving record
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Successfully complete all phases of the selection process
- TKPD is a marijuana-free workplace
BENEFITS & WAGES
- Police Officer 1 starting salary in 2023 is $50,930.88 ($24.48/hour)
- Top pay after 5 years of service in 2023 is $77,454.62 ($37.23/hour)
- Top pay after 5 years of service in 2026 is $87,117.86 ($41.88/hour)
- Health insurance, including medical, dental, and optical
- Retiree health care provided
- Pension-Municipal Employees' Retirement System B4 - MERS Defined Benefit (2.5% multiplier per year of service)
- Personal Time - 24 hours per year
- Vacation Time - 1 to 3 years – 112 hours; 4 to 9 years – 168 hours; 9+ years – 240 hours
- Comp Time - Maintain up to 75 hours
- Sick Time - 96 hours per year
- Holidays - 10 per year (including floating holiday): when working a holiday pay is double time and a half. Shifts go to minimum staffing on holidays. If off due to the shift going to minimum staffing on a scheduled holiday you earn vacation time and are paid straight time for that day. If not scheduled for a holiday, you still earn vacation time for not working that day. You can earn an additional 100 hours of vacation by not working holidays in any given year.
- Flexible time off approval. Time off may be granted at any time, including the day of the shift, as long as minimum shift strength is met and there are no special considerations for the day.
- Continued education benefit - 50% tuition reimbursement
- Uniform, dry cleaning and equipment provided
- Annual boot and glove allowance of $300
- Longevity pay (6-9 years $100 per year, 1-14 years $125 per year, 15-19 years $150 per year, 20+ years $175 per year)
- Fitness incentive of $200 per year
- Quality training that goes beyond required annual qualifications
To be considered for this position, complete an application, along with a resume and cover letter, to: email@example.com.
Once you application, resume, and cover letter have been received you will be invited to take a physical test. The below dates have been designated for testing:
- January 6, 2023
- Late February 2023 (exact date TBD)
Application information can be found at: https://www.ktwp.org/police-employment-opportunities/
The Township of Kalamazoo Police Department is committed to a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. We will continue to accept applications until all positions are filled.
Closing Date: 06/14/2023
Contact Person: Lieutenant Darein Smith
Website Link: https://www.ktwp.org/police-employment-opportunities/