The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Mackinac Island Police Department: Administrative Assistant Closing Date: July 19, 2023
January 19, 2023
The Mackinac Island Police Department is seeking a highly motivated and qualified Administrative Assistant to perform a wide variety of responsible and confidential administrative professional duties for the Police Chief and the Mackinac Island Police Department. This position is a key team member supporting and assisting all aspects of the Mackinac Island Police Department.
This is a full-time seasonal position which runs from approximately Mid April through October. Pay is $16.69 per hour. Open until filled.
Duties include (but are not limited to:
- Perform a wide variety of complex, responsible and confidential administrative duties for the Police Chief; perform special projects and assignments; coordinate and prioritize workflow; direct and oversee all office operations
- Assist with budgeting and finance; prepare and mail all bills; process all incoming monies
- Assist with payroll and scheduling
- Act as a liaison between Mackinac Island Police Department and multiple other agencies and departments
- Work with City Treasurer accounting for cash taken in for licensing fees
- Monitor dispatched calls for service on police radio
- Become familiar with all police call numbers.
- Maintain bicycle licensing system
- Maintain snowmobile licensing system
- Record and track stolen/lost bicycles
- Inventory bicycle impound area
- Coordinate annual bicycle auction
- Inventory and track lost property
- Assist with payroll and budgeting
- Coordinate payment and receipt of all civil infraction fines paid
- Maintain file of civil infraction tickets
Critical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to interact with a diverse set of people under sometimes trying conditions
- Ability to de-escalate occasionally irate and argumentative customer interactions
- Ability to learn and understand department and city policies, ordinances and procedures and apply them fairly and with discretion
- Ability to become proficient in the use of the police department's data and reporting applications
- Existing proficiency in the use of Excel spreadsheets including the ability to set up computational spreadsheets
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- High level of confidentiality, morals and ethics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High level of experience with various computer software programs to include Microsoft Office
- The candidate must pass a background check permitting them to have access to statutorily controlled criminal records
- The ability to maintain strict confidentiality of information viewed, discussed, and/or received during their daily activities related to employment
- Previous administrative assistant/executive management administrative assistant experience
- Experience in the management, documentation and retention of confidential/sensitive information
- Experience working with minimal supervision and making effective decisions independently
- High School graduate/GED, some college preferred
Interested candidates should fill out a City of Mackinac Island Application for employment packet which can be downloaded at:
Applicant should fill out all forms and submit them, along with a cover letter, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also send your personally-prepared resume along with the application packet and cover letter. This is not necessary but I will read all resumes.