The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Bay County Sheriff's Office: Road Patrol Deputy Full Time (4) Closing Date: July 25, 2023
January 25, 2023
There are four (4) full-time job vacancies at the BAY COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE.
JOB TITLE: ROAD PATROL DEPUTY (RP01)
RATE OF PAY: $23.41 per hour, entry, progressing to $31.82 per hour, after 3 years
Full-time positions with benefits.
GENERAL SUMMARY: Patrols an assigned area of the County in order to control traffic, prevent crime or disturbance of the peace, and arrests violators of State and Local laws. Responds, as directed by the dispatcher or necessitated by a hazard situation, to a variety of complaints or calls requiring police assistance.
- Patrols assigned roadways to observe traffic for violators or wanted vehicles, serving as a deterrent to criminal actions by presence in the area. Issues traffic citations or arrests violators and assists stranded motorists.
- Responds to a variety of citizens' complaints, such as domestic quarrels, robberies, break-ins, assaults and vandalism. Assists complainants and initiates investigation, completing investigations of the more routine complaints.
- Assists in the investigation of serious crimes, gathering evidence, taking statements from involved parties, witnesses and protecting the crime scene.
- Reports to accident scenes to render first aid to injured persons, route traffic around scene and investigate the cause of the accident. May take photographs, make measurements, obtain statements and gather other evidence to determine which party is at fault.
- Prepares detailed reports on accidents, arrests or other cases investigated.
- Appears in courts to give evidence on cases.
- Transports inmates and mental patients to and from Court, Jail, Institutions and other facilities. May make emergency deliveries of materials such as blood plasma.
- Serves subpoenas, warrants and other legal documents.
- Checks business establishments and other business buildings after hours to ensure proper security measures have been taken.
- Assists in controlling large crowds in a quelling civil disturbance.
- Consistent and punctual attendance is an essential function of this position.
- All other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties being performed by personnel so classified.
QUALIFICATIONS: Michigan State Licensing Required (M.C.O.L.E.S.). Successful completion of the Police Academy required to apply.
PHYSICAL: This position requires sitting, being mobile, bending and/or standing for significant periods of time. Additional requirements include the ability to move objects according to the following weight & frequency: generally, 20-50 pounds of force up to one third of the time. Applicants may be required to take written and/or other examinations.
Application deadline: Open until filled
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Apply online at: http://www.baycounty-mi.gov.
Benefit /Wage Summary
$23.41/per hour entry with a three year top out.
- Law Enforcement Division
- 12 Hour shifts, every other weekend off
- Traffic and Safety — Crash Reconstruction
- Dive Team
- Detective Bureau
- K9 Handler
- Drone Operators
- Civil Process Division
- Property/Evidence Manager
- Evidence Technicians
- School Resource Officers
- Field Training Officers
- Arson Fire Investigator
- Command Promotions
- Continuous & Specialized Annual Training
- New Individual Equipment & Weapons
- Rifle (5.56 Caliber)
Paid Leave Time & Additional Pay
- Personal Time
- Sick Time
- Compensatory Time
- Bereavement Leave
- Paid Paternity/Maternity Leave
- Unused Annual Vacation/Sick Leave Payout
- Shift Premium
- Uniform Allowance
- Standby Pay for Detectives
- Grant Detail / Special Contracts
- Gun Allowance
- Voluntary Nationwide 457 retirement plan
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Education Reimbursement
Health Benefit Package
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision—Employee & Family
- 24 / 7 Online Health Care
- Wellness Incentive Program
- Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance Options
- Disability Benefits
- Sick and Accident Benefits
- Delta College Gym Membership / County Exercise Facilities
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
"Bay County is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Bay County and its departments to pursue equal employment opportunity regardless of height, weight, political or religious affiliations, race, color, sex, disability, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or other protected classification set forth by law in our relationship with applicants for employment, employees of the department, and the public.
Closing Date: 07/25/2023
Website Link: http://www.baycounty-mi.gov