The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
University of Michigan DPPS: Police Officers Closing Date: March 31, 2023
January 31, 2023
The Division of Public Safety & Security at the University of Michigan is hiring POLICE OFFICERS for our Ann Arbor Campus.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position. Please include it as the first page of your resume. Please apply via the University of Michigan Careers page.
Pay Range Information
The pay range for new, probationary Police Officers is $56,118.40 to $57,241.60.
The full salary range for Police Officers who have completed a one year probationary period is $59,883.20 - $85,529.60 and can be found in the POAM bargaining agreement.
As a Police Officer, you will provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, promoting good community relations and patrolling assigned areas to prevent crime; enforce laws, ordinances and traffic regulations, control crowds, and arrest violators. You may also perform specialized police activities such as criminal investigations including interviewing witnesses, crime victims and suspects.
- Uphold the highest standards of conduct and customer service while serving and protecting our community and taking measures to prevent crime
- Enforce University ordinances and regulations and State and Federal laws
- Patrol campus areas for crime prevention, parking and traffic control and issue citations
- Obtain and serve warrants, subpoenas and other court documents
- Identify, apprehend and arrest suspects
- Testify in criminal, civil and administrative hearings
- Associate’s degree
- Completion of a State of Michigan accredited police academy training program or waiver of training
- MCOLES licensed
- Ability to pass an extensive background investigation
We are a full-service law enforcement agency with responsibility to provide police services to all areas of our campus community. Our mission is to contribute to and promote a safe and secure community, while respecting the rights and dignity of all persons using facilities and programs of the University of Michigan.
Why Work at Michigan?
With over 450 employees and several exciting and diverse Departments, DPSS offers a wide range of engaging career opportunities. We have opportunities in Administration, Community Engagement, Dispatch Services, Emergency Management, Guest Services, Housing Security, Michigan Medicine Security, Museum Security, the Police Department, and Special Event & Dignitary Protection Security.
We are dedicated to providing a safe and secure environment for all U-M students, faculty and staff, with an emphasis on community engagement, prevention, and education.
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Excellent vacation time package
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
Closing Date: 03/01/2023
Contact Person: Sherri Swanson
Website Link: dpss.umich.edu