The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Livonia Police Department: Police Officer Closing Date: March 31, 2023
February 02, 2023
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Candidates will be considered for salary step credit for prior full-time experience in law enforcement. For more detailed information, please visit: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=476588664576539&set=a.199565925612149
An employee in this classification performs general law enforcement duties in the Police Division of the Department of Public Safety. This employee enforces traffic laws, issues tickets, appears in court, responds to vehicle accidents, apprehends persons who violate City ordinances or State statutes, responds to complaints from citizens, assists persons seeking aid, and performs related duties as assigned.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Patrols the City within an assigned area in a radio dispatched automobile to secure life and property, observe situations, report suspicious or criminal activity, hazardous conditions and deter crime by providing high visibility.
- Responds to emergency calls for service, disturbances, thefts, burglaries, vehicle accidents, domestic disputes, suspicious activities and other incidents to protect public safety and property, resolve problems, diffuse situations and enforce laws and ordinances and take appropriate action.
- Provides information, directions and assistance to the public in a variety of situations; takes reports and assists the public with complaints or unusual situations.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with the community, including specific targeted groups, such as the elderly or school-age youth.
- Assists in developing community crime prevention programs; speaks and educates local business, school, civic, and social groups.
Observes, monitors and controls routine and unusual traffic situations; stops and warns drivers or issues citations as appropriate; provides traffic control in accident or incident situations, special events or other congested situations.
- Makes arrests, apprehends, restrains suspects and serves warrants and subpoenas; takes individuals into custody and may transport them for medical clearance, detainment at the City lockup facility and/or booking at a longer-term facility, as required.
- Secures crime scenes and evidence; interviews suspects, victims and witnesses; collects and preserves evidence; performs complete investigations and/or cooperates with other law enforcement agencies providing investigative and case development support.
- Provides oversight on juveniles and delinquents and works on cases involving unfit homes and crimes committed against or by juveniles.
- Assists the City Attorney or the District Attorney staff in preparing, documenting and developing cases and gathering information; testifies in court as required.
- Directs the activities of police support personnel and/or volunteers in office and field situations.
- Sets up and takes down speed trailer, temporary emergency signage and devices.
- Participates in vehicle chases according to departmental policy.
- Provides mutual aide to other law enforcement agencies as dispatched and in accordance with departmental policy.
- Prepares reports; prepares and maintains logs, records and accurate files.
- May be assigned to assist in conducting special studies of crime prevention, traffic control, or other Police Services issues.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level as directed by competent authority.
Closing Date: 03/31/2023
Contact Person: Sgt Painter
Website Link Optional: https://www.livoniapd.com/