The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Lansing Police Department: Police Officer Recruit Sponsorship Closing Date: March 6, 2023
February 03, 2023
This posting is for non-certified applicants. Candidates who are hired will be sent to the 17-week Mid-Michigan Police Academy, a certified law enforcement academy, located at Lansing Community College. Upon successful completion of this academy, the Recruit will be promoted to entry-level police officer and must also successfully complete the Lansing Police Department's field training officer program.
The Police Officer Recruit is a safety-sensitive, community-based position that is involved with the complex and specialized activities required to maintain civil order and enforce laws and ordinances. Police Officers are responsible for the protection of life and property, detection and prevention of crime, apprehension of criminals, and enforcement of laws and ordinances in a designated specialized area or on an assigned shift.
Keeping reading to find out why LPD will be your destination department.
Salary while attending the Police Academy: $20.00/hr
Current Police Officer salary: $53,378 to $76,287, maximum pay reached in 5 years.
Future contractual maximum salary:
- 7-1-23: $78,575 (3%)
- 7-1-24: $80,933 (3%)
- 7-1-25: $83,360 (3%)
Vest bonus: $1,000 annually in addition to salary.
Longevity: Annual payments per years of service:
- 5-10 years: $400
- 10-15 years: $800
- 15-20 years: $1,200
- 20+ years: $1,600
Clothing allowance: 2% or 4% pay increase based on certain assignments.
Shift differential: Increased pay for working noon or night shifts.
Overtime: Countless overtime opportunities (bar district, CATA, parades, events, etc)
Education hiring bonus: Candidates with a bachelor’s degree start at Step 2 on the salary scale ($57, 416), Master’s Degree start at Step 3 ($61,872).
Pension: Defined benefit pension.
- Eligible to retire at 25 years of service and 50 years of age.
- 3.0 multiplier of base wage (75% at 25 years of service).
- Additional 1% allowance for years 25-30 for a maximum of 80% of base wage.
- Employee pension contributions are 10% of wages on pensionable items only (10% pension contribution is NOT deducted from overtime payments).
Deferred Compensation: 457 plans offered by the City via VOYA and T. Rowe Price.
MERS Health Savings Account: Employee contributes 3% and the City contributes 4% of base wages annually. Vesting is five (5) years of service.
12 days annually (96 hours).
- Up to 4 days (32 hours) of unused sick leave paid annually per Collective Bargaining Agreement details.
- Up to 90 days (720 hours), paid upon retirement.
Personal time: 40 hours annually.
- 1-5 years: 96 hours
- 5-10 years: 104 hours
- 10-15 years: 136 hours
- 15-20 years: 176 hours
- 20+ years: 192 hours
Compensatory time: 1.5 hours for each overtime hour. Maximum accrual 120 hours.
Holidays: 13 paid Holidays per year.
Bereavement: 5 days paid for death of immediate family member/spouse’s family member. 1 day paid for non-immediate family members.
Scheduling: Officers bid for their work schedules every 6 weeks.
10-hour shifts (Patrol).
Ability to promote to Detective, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Assistant Chief, Chief.
- ATF task force officer, K9, Community Police Officer, Community School Officer, Community Service Officer, Court Officer, CSI, DEA task force officer, Detective IIC (temporary Detective assignment), Motorcycle Officer, Property and Supply, Range Officer, Special Operations Section (undercover narcotics), SOS Regulatory Officer, Traffic Follow-up, Violent Crime Impact team.
Additional departmental opportunities:
- Tactical Team Operator, Dive Team, Drone Operator, Honor Guard, LPD Mentor, FTO, Crisis Negotiator, Recruiting Team, Emergency Vehicle Operations Instructor, GREAT officer, LPD Explorer Cadre, Peer Support, Defensive Tactics Instructor, Accident Investigator, and others.
Health Insurance: Coverage under either Blue Cross Blue Shield or PHP. Employees on the Base plan will receive a $400 cash bonus annually.
- Base: $40.00 co-pay for office visits. Prescription drug co-pays are $10/$40/$80. $1000/single and $2000/family in network deductible and 80% co-insurance. Emergency room service $250 and Urgent Care $60 co-pays.
- Option 1: $30.00 co-pay for office visits. Prescription drug co-pays are $10/$40/$80. $500/single and $1000/family in network deductible and 80% co-insurance. Emergency room service $150 and Urgent Care visit $50 co-pays.
- Option 2: $10.00 co-pay for office visits, Urgent Care co-pay $20.00 and Emergency Room co-pay $50.00 (waived in admitted to the hospital). Prescription drugs co-pays are $5.00 generic/$20.00 name brand co-payment/$40.00 non-formulary, with a mandatory generic drug plan program.
Opt Out: Employees can opt out of the City’s health care plan if they have coverage from another source. Payments are based on bargaining unit member participation:
- Less than 20 members $1,500, 20 or more members $2,500. Paid annually.
Vision: Blue Cross/Blue Shield VSP. Includes vision exams with a $5.00 co-pay and lenses and frames coverage with a $10.00 co-pay once every twelve months.
Dental Insurance: No premium, coverage includes employee and family, $1,200 maximum for Class I, II, & III benefits and $3,000 orthodontic maximum.
- Delta Dental - 100% coverage for cleaning; 50% coverage for treatment costs with an $1,200 maximum per person per contract year. Employees and dependents will also receive orthodontic coverage which provides fifty percent (50%) of treatment costs with a $3,000.00 lifetime maximum per person.
- Midwestern Dental Plan - Coverage includes 100% coverage for cleaning, oral exams, and biannual x-rays. Other services with co-payments.
Facilities: Brand new facility expected summer of 2026 to include Police Headquarters, Jail, and District Court.
Relaxed facial hair and tattoo policies.
Training: Countless quality training opportunities beyond required annual qualifications.
Equipment: All equipment provided at no cost.
- External vests are worn by all uniform personnel.
- Free dry cleaning.
Diverse and community-oriented agency providing professional service beyond traditional enforcement.
Large agency with numerous opportunities: 212 authorized sworn officer strength.
Military members: Military friendly department with established military leave policies and Collective Bargaining Agreement guidelines.
Life Insurance: $50,000 of group life and $50,000 Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance free to the employee. Dependent life insurance coverage available for a reasonable cost.
Medical and Dependent Care Reimbursement: Employees can pay for medical expenses/dependent care with pretax dollars through AFLAC. AFLAC also offers supplemental insurances that may be purchased on a pretax basis through payroll deduction.
Education Reimbursement: Employees may receive up to five hundred ($500) dollars per fiscal year for tuition expenses for approved courses.
Parking: Parking provided at no cost to the employee.
The City of Lansing is an Equal Opportunity and Certified Veteran Friendly Employer
Apply now at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lansingmi
Closing Date: 03-06-2023
Contact Person: Sgt. Mandi Beasinger
Website link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lansingmi