The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
St Charles Police Department: Part-time Police Officer Closing Date: March 31, 2023
February 14, 2023
St Charles Police Department
110 W Spruce St
St Charles MI 48655
Chief: Julie M Church
Position Summary: Part-Time Police Officer/flexible schedule/16-32 hr/week
Under the supervision of the Chief of Police, performs responsible law enforcement and patrol work. Works to maintain order, regulate traffic, protect life and property, and prevent crime and disorder. Provides assistance at the scene of accidents, fires, and other emergency situations. Performs related work as required.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
Requirements include the following:
- Licensed as a Police Officer by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) or eligible for licensing.
- Valid State of Michigan Vehicle Operator's License.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of modern law enforcement.
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations applicable in criminal investigative work and municipal police work and skill in following these procedures in routine and emergency situations.
- Ability to learn and enforce City ordinances and processes for achieving code compliance.
- Knowledge of the basic rules of evidence and other legal procedures applicable in the prosecution of crimes.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws and local ordinances, and the limitations on police authority.
- Skill in the operation of police vehicles, surveillance and communication equipment, firearms, breathalyzers, chemical sprays, and other implements used in the line of duty.
- Ability to work effectively under stress in emergency and confrontational situations according to an established command structure, and observe established procedures.
- Ability to make sound, independent decisions when no assistance is available.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness, and maintain effective working relationships with the public, elected officials, community leaders, victims, detainees, and other professionals.
- Ability to use basic office equipment such as telephone, calculator, photocopier, fax, and computer with applicable software applications such as word processing and specialized department software, as well as email/internet.
- Ability to work shifts of varying lengths and different times of the day, including weekends and holidays, as necessary.
- Village employees are expected to possess and maintain a record of orderly, law-abiding citizenship, sobriety, integrity, and loyalty as it pertains to and reflects upon their employment with the City.
- Village employees must be physically and mentally able to perform the essential duties of their positions without excessive absences.
- In addition to the above requirements, all village positions require the ability to read, write, speak, and understand the English language as necessary for the position, including the ability to follow written and oral instructions.
Please contact email resume to Chief@stcmi.com
Or call 989-860-8850
Closing Date: 03/31/2023
Contact Person: Julie Church