The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Jackson Police Department: Full time Patrol Officer Position. Lateral transfer. $10,000 hiring incentive. Closing Date: August 31, 2023
February 15, 2023
Under supervision, during varied hours, to patrol assigned district or beat on foot or bicycle, in a police car or other conveyances; to participate in the enforcement of all laws and ordinances, the preservation of law and order, the prevention of crime, the protection of life and property, and the arrest and prosecution of law violators; to investigate and make detailed reports of accidents, and render all possible aid and assistance; operate a police radar or laser unit and engage in the enforcement of traffic laws. To direct pedestrian and vehicular traffic, to check cars for overtime or illegal parking, to see that streets are unobstructed and lighted at proper times; to make investigation of complaints; to aid other city departments as requested; to guide and direct strangers and children, occasionally to assist with clerical and maintenance work; to keep records of arrests and other important incidents; to make daily reports and to perform related work as required; to make public presentations on behalf of the department. To actively engage the community to form partnerships, consistent with the department's values, mission and vision. Must wear approved uniform attire, meet grooming standards, and use approved equipment. Must be certified through the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) and have the ability to perform the essential job functions outlined by MCOLES or be currently enrolled in a Police Academy where certification through the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) is expected upon completion.
The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, run, sit, use hands and finger, talk and hear, fire various firearms and drive a car. Specific vision ability required by this job include color vision, close vision, including small print peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee usually works outdoors in a variety of weather conditions throughout the City, but is occasionally required to be indoors. The noise level is usually quiet or moderate, but sometimes loud.
U.S. Citizen; must either hold current Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) certification, be eligible for certification prior to application deadline or be currently enrolled in a Police Academy where certification through the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) is expected upon completion; and pass the (MCOLES) reading/writing test and other pre-employment screening instruments. The City of Jackson will also accept a lateral transfer from other Law Enforcement Agencies.
82/$53,622 – $74,381
- The City of Jackson honors lateral transfers of law enforcement officers with prior experience working as a full-time sworn police officer with powers of arrest for any city, county or state law enforcement agency. Starting salary will be based upon the following:
- 2 years of experience – $ 62,941
- 3 years of experience -- $ 65,978
- 4 years of experience -- $ 69,098
- In addition to the starting salary, police officers hired after October 1, 2021 shall receive a $10,000 HIRING INCENTIVE upon the successful completion of the Field Training Officer Program. The incentive shall be paid in a one-time lump sum contingent upon the employee signing and agreeing to the City’s Hiring Incentive Repayment Agreement.
- Paid vacation leave, sick leave, bereavement leave and holidays
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Pension Program
- Deferred Compensation Program
- Healthcare Savings Plan
- Complete a City of Jackson Employment Application. Applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Division or downloaded at www.cityofjackson.org. Please include an official college/university transcript(s) or a copy of such request submitted to the college if applicable.
- A resume must accompany the completed job application.
- Job applications will be accepted by fax, email, in person, or by mail.
City of Jackson
Human Resources Division
161 W. Michigan Ave. Jackson, MI 49201
**EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER**
Opening date: February 15, 2023
Closing Date: August 31, 2023
A/Lieutenant John Lillie
Website Link: https://www.cityofjackson.org/329/Job-Opportunities