The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
University of Michigan Public Safety & Security: Police Officers Closing Date: September 30, 2023
March 06, 2023
The Division of Public Safety & Security at the University of Michigan is hiring POLICE OFFICERS for our Ann Arbor, Flint and Dearborn campuses.
The University of Michigan is a world-class public research university home to 19 schools and colleges, one of the largest health care complexes in the world and a rich, storied athletics tradition. Maintaining the safety of the university is the chief task of the Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS). DPSS conducts all police and security operations at the University’s campuses and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. DPSS offers an integrated approach to safety and security, partnering across the University and helping everyone in the U-M community to take charge of their own
With over 450 employees and several exciting and diverse Departments, DPSS offers a wide range of engaging career opportunities. We have opportunities in Administration, Community Engagement, Dispatch Services, Emergency Management, Guest Services, Housing Security, Michigan Medicine Security, Museum Security, the Police Department, and Special Event and Dignitary Protection Security. We are dedicated to providing a safe and secure environment for all U-M students, faculty and staff, with an emphasis on community engagement, prevention, and education.
How to Apply
Please email resumes with cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate which campus location you are interested in.
Pay Range Information
The pay range for new, probationary Police Officers is $56,118.40 to $57,241.60. The full salary range for Police Officers who have completed a one year probationary period is $59,883.20 - $85,529.60 and can be found in the POAM bargaining agreement.
As a Police Officer, you will provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, promoting good community relations and patrolling assigned areas to prevent crime; enforce laws, ordinances and traffic regulations, control crowds, and arrest violators. You may also perform specialized police activities such as criminal investigations including interviewing witnesses, crime victims and suspects.
- Uphold the highest standards of conduct and customer service while serving and protecting our community and taking measures to prevent crime
- Enforce University ordinances and regulations and State and Federal laws
- Patrol campus areas for crime prevention, parking and traffic control and issue citations
- Obtain and serve warrants, subpoenas and other court documents
- Identify, apprehend and arrest suspects
- Testify in criminal, civil and administrative hearings
- Associate’s degree
- Completion of a State of Michigan accredited police academy training program or waiver of training
- MCOLES licensed
- Ability to pass an extensive background investigation
We are a full-service law enforcement agency with responsibility to provide police services to all areas of our campus community. Our mission is to contribute to and promote a safe and secure community, while respecting the rights and dignity of all persons using facilities and programs of the University of Michigan.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future.
- Excellent vacation time package
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
Opening Date: 3/6/2023
Closing Date: 9/30/2023