The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
University of Michigan Public Safety & Security: Security Officer Closing Date: September 30, 2023
March 06, 2023
The Division of Public Safety & Security at the University of Michigan is hiring SECURITY OFFICERS for Michigan Medicine Security.
The Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS); Michigan Medicine Security is a full-service, 24-hour public safety department that works to meet the needs of the Michigan Medicine community. We are widely acknowledged as a healthcare security leader in patient and family-centered care. Our officers and support staff are highly trained healthcare security professionals equipped to serve all members of our community. We manage all security operations at Michigan Medicine and offer an integrated approach to safety and security, partnering across the University to provide a safe community while improving the quality of life for all those living, learning, working, healing and visiting our community. As a Michigan Medicine Security Officer, you will report to the Director of Michigan Medicine Security. Departments are a seven (7) day per week, twenty-four (24) hour per day operation. Work schedules may include nights, weekends, afternoons, holidays and occasional unanticipated overtime. This is a uniformed position following the DPSS uniformed dress code. There will be stationary and mobile patrol responsibilities within an 8 hour (minimum) shift.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position. Please include it as the first page of your resume. Please apply via the University of Michigan Careers page.
Pay Range Information
The pay range for new, Security Officers is $42,348.80 to $43,201.60. The full salary range for Security Officers who have completed a one year probationary period is $45,094.40 - $51,937.60 and can be found in the POAM bargaining agreement.
- Ensure public safety, protect our assets and act as the primary liaison with state and local police, fire and security agencies; act calmly in emergency situations and use emergency equipment
- Working with medical staff, de-escalate potentially violent and non-violent situations; help maneuver persons who may be combative, intoxicated or unconscious; restrain individuals as needed
- Patrol the medical center and off site health system buildings and monitor fire, infant protection, security, and access control alarm systems
- Detect safety hazards and criminal elements
- Use your customer service skills and inclusive mindset to respectfully communicate and work with all community members
- Maintain confidentiality in all matters
- Prepare incident and security reports
- Ascend and descend multiple flights of stairs as part of the routine patrol
- Provide services such as: escorts, wayfinding, unlocks, motorists assists, well-being checks, fund transports, property control, and traffic and crowd control
- Move equipment such as barricades and fire extinguishers
- Associates degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field
- 1+ years of security or related experience
- Experience with the enforcement of fire, safety and security practices
- Skillset in handling emergency situations and using associated equipment
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and basic keyboarding
- A valid driver's license and a driving record with less than 6 points
- You must pass a background investigation, drug screening, psychological evaluation, and physical examination.
Why Work at Michigan?
With over 450 employees and several exciting and diverse Departments, DPSS offers a wide range of engaging career opportunities. We have opportunities in Administration, Community Engagement, Dispatch Services, Emergency Management, Guest Services, Housing Security, Michigan Medicine Security, Museum Security, the Police Department, and Special Event & Dignitary Protection Security.
We are dedicated to providing a safe and secure environment for all U-M students, faculty and staff, with an emphasis on community engagement, prevention, and education. In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future.
- Excellent vacation time package
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
Opening Date: 3/6/2023
Closing Date: 9/30/2023