The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Macomb Community College: Campus Police Sergeant - Police Command Officer Closing Date: March 23, 2023
March 10, 2023
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF WORK:
This is supervisory position of police work on an assigned shift. The work of members allocated to this class consists of responsibility for assisting in the supervision of police operations, college safety and security related activities, and for the performance of generalized police duties at the police station. Police Sergeants may be assigned special assignments requiring special abilities and knowledge that includes internal and criminal investigation. They frequently participate in the work performed by subordinate officers. Police Sergeants are given specific work instructions by ranking officers on new assignments but work independently in performing regularly assigned duties. Work is reviewed by inspection and through oral and written reports to superiors. Police Sergeants are to act in a consistently pleasant and helpful manner to fellow employees, visitors, and demonstrate the highest standards of internal and external customer service.
Responsible for specialized tasks as assigned by the Chief of College Police and or immediate supervisor (primarily involving departmental communications and personnel relations); responsible for specialized training, discipline duties, oversight and supervision of College Police Officers, Public Service Officers, support staff and responsible for certain shift duties as assigned to provide extended coverage and to meet emergencies.
Essential Job Functions:
- Presents a positive and professional image of the Macomb Community College by ensuring that the professional and ethical standards of the department are met and enforced for all personnel under their command to include discipline, efficiency, conduct and appearance.
- Shall verbally and by actions/deeds support all policies, orders and directives of the administration and the chain of command at all times.
- Perform the duties required of a police officer.
- Ensures all personnel under his/her command is technically and tactically proficient to perform all duties required of their position or rank.
- Educating staff about regulatory changes and new police technology or methods.
- Conducts periodic inspections with regards to uniforms, firearms, grooming, and equipment worn to ensure compatibility with current general orders.
- Administers all disciplinary actions in a fair and impartial manner and in total compliance with established procedures.
- Conducts shift briefings, training, and performance evaluations.
- Maintains oversight by observing, supervising, and instructing subordinate officers.
- Prevention and suppression of crime through safety checks, patrolling, campus walk-throughs and securing buildings.
- Responsible for oversight, maintenance, and utilization of technology within the Police Department.
- Participate in on-the-job training sessions and training seminars.
- Responsible for surveys and investigation-develop recommendations as a result of such surveys and investigations.
- Schedule work assignments of subordinates.
- Assists and instructs officers in investigations and other unusual situations.
- Checks complaints about subordinate officers and reports to a superior.
- Electronically reviews reports ensures MICR compliance, returns for correction as necessary.
- Assumes all shift responsibilities in the absence of a Lieutenant.
- Providing required after-hours notifications to administrative command, Chief of College Police, and members of college leadership
- Provide weekend and holiday coverage at all campuses when scheduled.
- Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance.
- Represents the department at community and business meetings.
- Ability to be a L.E.I.N. TAC, L.E.I.N. Agency Security Officer, MITN Operator.
- Serves as Campus Security Authority as outlined by the Jeanne Clery Act. and completes yearly required training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision received from the Chief of College Police and /or Police Lieutenant.
Immediate supervision of College Police Officers, Public Service Officers, and office/clerical employees of the department as assigned.
OPENING DATE: 3/10/2023
CLOSING DATE: 3/23/2023