The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Village of Gagetown Police Department: Part Time Officer and/or Part Time Chief of Police Closing Date: April 26, 2024
April 09, 2023
Under the supervision of the Village President, Plan and direct the office and field activities of the Village of Gagetown Police Department, coordinate police operations other Village departments, community groups and other law enforcement agencies. Patrol Village streets and investigate crime. Perform related work as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
- Plan and direct the office and field activities of the Village Police Department.
- Review reports completed to assure application of approved police practices.
- Assist subordinates in emergency or unusual work situations.
- Coordinate the purchase and repair of police equipment and facilities.
- Investigate complaints related to police activities and initiate remedial action as required.
- Prepare the police department budget request each year and maintain records of supply, equipment, and uniform expenditures and requests.
- Submit monthly and annual reports to the Village Council and Village President summarizing departmental statistics on the number and type of incidents occurring.
- Prepare the daily and monthly state reports on the number of complaints answered by the department.
- Coordinate police operations with those of other Village departments, community groups, and other law enforcement agencies.
- Investigate complaints and reports of Village traffic and parking problems and work with Village President and Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) to resolve them.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other police agencies in the area.
- Implement and participate in community safety programs.
- Advise and assist the Village President and Village Council on matters relating to the Police Department.
- Patrol Village streets and investigate crime.
- Issue citations for traffic and parking violations.
- Respond to calls for police assistance.
- Investigate reports of crime, questioning of witnesses, collect evidence at the crime scene and arrest suspects.
- Testify in court, prepare, deliver and safeguard evidence, and assure that witnesses appear in court.
- Enforce Village Ordinances.
- Answer the telephone when in the office.
- Perform related work as required
- Knowledge of Tuscola County geography and surrounding communities will be beneficial in the event the Police Department is requested to assist on emergencies outside of the Village Limits.
An employee in this class, upon appointment, should have the equivalent of the following knowledge, training and experience:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of modern police science to implement effect Village law enforcement operations.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws and local ordinances and their limitations on police authority to inform subordinates and supervise their enforcement.
- Knowledge of scientific methods of crime detention and prevention, skill in using firearms, communication and automotive equipment used in police work to protect the community, and train and evaluate employees.
- Certification by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) and a valid Michigan drivers license is also required.
- Knowledge of basic accounting and record keeping procedures to prepare the police department budget and reports for the Village President.
- At least three (3) years experience as a police officer
- College Course Work Equivalent to an Associate's Degree is required. A Bachelor's Degree is preferred. Will make exemptions for the right individual.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with others in person, via radio, or on the telephone. The employee must regularly lift and/or move items of light and heavy weight. The employee is frequently required to travel to other locations within and outside of the Village. The employee in this position will have considerable exposure to the public and must represent the Village in a professional and friendly manner.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting, vehicle and in the field. Physical demands, therefore, range from sitting in an office or vehicle to possibly, the physical exertion associated with emergency response and law enforcement activities. The employee may be exposed to outside weather conditions, and possibly exposed to moving mechanical parts, high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, explosives, risk of radiation, vibration and other dangers. The noise level in the work environment can range from quiet to very loud.
Salary and Benefits
Starting Salary: $22.00 - $25.00 (dependent on experience)
Hours per week: 25 hours per week (overtime opportunities dependent on call volume)
Village of Gagetown population: 331
The Village of Gagetown employs only United States citizens and individuals authorized to work in the United States, pursuant to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
The Village of Gagetown does not discriminate on the basis of handicapped status in admission or access to or treatment or employment in its programs and activities.
THE VILLAGE OF GAGETOWN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Closing Date: 04/09/2026
Contact Person: Paul Lopez