The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
City of Ionia: Public Safety Officer Closing Date: October 31, 2023
April 26, 2023
The City of Ionia, Michigan is seeking qualified candidates for the full-time position of Public Safety Officer. Ionia has a population of 13,378 residents and includes 5.5 square miles. Police services are also provided to Ionia Township on a contractual basis, which includes a population of 6,021 residents and 34.1 square miles. The Department further provides fire and medical first responder services for the two adjoining townships, which have a combined population of 9,079 residents and cover 63 square miles.
Statement of Duties:
Public Safety Officers shall perform all the duties and responsibilities of the Police, Fire and Medical services for the city and assigned townships. Public Safety Officers are responsible for the prevention of crimes, preservation of public peace and order, apprehension of offenders, protection of persons and property under the laws of the City and State, protection of people and property from fire, and provide aid to people in medical emergencies.
- High school/GED diploma, associate’s degree in related field, bachelor’s degree preferred;
- Must be a U.S. citizen, 21 years or older at time of employment;
- MCOLES licensed/licensable as a police officer;
- Must have a valid Michigan driver’s license and good driving history;
- No felony convictions and/or disqualifying criminal history;
- Ability to successfully pass interview process, background investigation, psychological evaluation and drug/alcohol screen;
- Candidates who possess State of Michigan Fire Fighter II certifications and/or hold a current State of Michigan Medical First Responder or higher license are preferred, however, all non-certificate holding applicants are considered. Training for certifications and licenses will be provided by the Department.
Salary range for PSO1 is $58,093 - $71,022 annually with a competitive fringe benefits package. Starting wage will be determined on experience and qualifications.
- Pension: MERS Defined Benefit Plan with a 1.50% multiplier, FAC–3, F55/25 and a Defined Contribution Plan with 4% each Employer and Employee Contribution;
- 457 Retirement Plan with Employer Contribution of 6% of base wages;
- Health insurance plan to include medical, dental and vision with up to $6,000 employer yearly contribution into an HSA;
- Continuing education funds available for employees to further their education
- Vacation leave: Up to 192 hours annually;
- Paid Holidays: 10 holidays, plus 24 hours floating holiday;
- Annual Longevity pay upon 5 years of service;
- Uniforms, equipment and dry cleaning provided at no expense to the employee. Application for employment is available at: cityofionia.org
Submit cover letter, resume and completed City of Ionia employment application to:
Precia Garland, City Manager
114 N. Kidd Street PO Box 496
Ionia MI 48846
The City of Ionia is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Closing Date: 10/31/2023