The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
St. Clair Shores Police Department: Full-time Patrol Officer Closing Date: October 31, 2023
April 28, 2023
The St. Clair Shores Police Department is seeking qualified patrol officer candidates who poses strong leadership, communication, decision making, and problem-solving skills. Patrol officers perform a variety of law enforcement duties which include patrolling assigned areas, investigating criminal and suspicious incidents, responding to calls, arresting suspects, preparing incident reports, and traffic related duties. Duties are performed both indoors and outdoors, and often in inclement weather.
Applicants should be in good physical condition and able to perform all essential job functions. Ideal candidates should be enthusiastic, trustworthy, compassionate, respectful, and able to exercise sound judgement with a strong desire to serve the community.
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responding to emergency and non-emergency calls for service.
- Investigating illegal activities, traffic crashes, suspicious situations, domestic disturbances, animal complaints, etc.
- Report writing and incident documentation.
- Arresting and transporting suspects.
- Dealing with Emotionally Disturbed Persons.
- Vehicular and foot patrol duties.
- Gathering and logging evidence.
- Writing citations and testifying in court.
- Enforcing local, state, and federal laws.
- Interviewing victims, suspects, and witnesses.
- Safely handling and maintaining proficiency with department issued weapons.
- Assisting the public with miscellaneous concerns and guiding them toward the proper resources (Community Policing).
The City of St. Clair Shores is accepting applications for Patrol Officer with the intent of establishing eligibility to fill both current and future vacancies.
PLEASE INCLUDE COPIES OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS WITH YOUR APPLICATION OR IT WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFIED:
- Birth Certificate
- Driver’s License
- College Transcripts (if applicable) A copy of your diploma is NOT acceptable.
- Letter from Police Academy indicating date of graduation (if applicable)
Applicants must meet the following requirements and provide the following documentation at the time of application:
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States of America and be at least 21 years old at time of hire.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must have a minimum of 60 semester hours of college credits at time of hire OR have at least two years of full time sworn police officer experience.
- Applicants should be licensed by MCOLES or licensable under MCOLES standards.
- If not currently licensed by MCOLES or “licensable” under MCOLES standards:
- Individuals may apply if currently enrolled in a MCOLES licensed Police Academy or Police Licensing Program. Any applicant who fails licensing under this provision shall become ineligible.
- Veterans of any branch of the United States Military who qualify for the MCOLES Military Police Basic Training Program are encouraged to apply. Any applicant who fails licensing under this provision shall become ineligible.
- Any applicant who applies under the provision of 5A or 5B of this posting must complete all academy training and successfully pass the state licensing exam before potential employment.
- The City of St. Clair Shores shall not consider any applications unless the following documents are supplied with the application: Copies of Applicant’s Driver’s License, Birth Certificate (or Naturalization Document), College Transcripts, and MCOLES licensing or letter from the Police Academy certifying enrollment and expected graduation date.
- All Applicants must meet the criminal history requirements and background check requirements of the City of St. Clair Shores Police Department.
(Licensing must be maintained to remain on the eligibility list)
The City of St. Clair Shores is an equal opportunity employer.
Contact information: Officer Raymond
To Apply: Visit www.scsmi.net