The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
City of Northville Police Department: Full-time Police Officer Closing Date: September 30, 2023
May 10, 2023
The City of Northville Police Department is currently accepting applications to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for the position of police officer.
The City of Northville Police Department provides 24-hour policing services to approximately 6,000 residents over an area of approximately two square miles. The Police Department strives to place a focus on community policing and crime prevention, while providing continuing training and educational opportunities to their personnel.
The City of Northville Police Department is currently accredited through the Michigan Law Enforcement Accreditation Commission (MLEAC). The Department’s current rank structure consists of a Chief, a Captain, three Sergeants, eight Police Officers (including a full-time Detective) and a full-time Records Clerk. The Department currently operates on a 12-hour shift schedule, with set days off. The Department contracts for dispatch and lock-up services from the Northville Township Police Department.
2023 Pay Range: $61,872 – $87,884
The City of Northville is currently offering a lateral transfer compensation program based on prior full-time experience. Any incoming employee who is currently certified as a police officer will be given service credit toward reaching top pay.
- Current full-time sworn law enforcement officer lateral transfer pay for 2023:
- 0 – 12 months experience – $61,872
- 12 – 24 months experience – $63,161
- 25 – 36 months experience – $68,643
- 37 – 48 months experience – $74,059
- 49+ months experience – $79,890 ($87,884 w/ a Bachelor’s Degree incentive)
- Applicants must have completed a recognized Police Academy at time of hire.
- Applicants currently enrolled & attending a recognized Police Academy that will result in an Associate’s Degree are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must possess a minimum of an Associate's Degree in law enforcement or related field; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Experience may be considered in lieu of education.
- Applicants must be certified/certifiable through MCOLES.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age.
- MERS Defined Contribution retirement plan
- Employer contribution of 13% of all base salary and overtime.
- Employee contribution of 5% of all base salary and overtime.
- Graduating vesting schedule with 100% vested status after 7 years.
- Sick leave accumulated at 8 hours per month
- Vacation time earned annually, up to 248 hours per year
- 12 paid holidays – paid at time and a half if working on that day
- Medical (BCN), dental, vision and prescription insurance provided with a cost sharing of 80/20 between employer and employee
- Life Insurance provided by employer
- 12-hour shift schedule with set days off – including a three-day weekend off every other week
- Bereavement Leave
- Tuition reimbursement for college credits
- Overtime opportunities available
- Opportunity to work in a community that is supportive of law enforcement
Applicants will be selected by an oral board and should be prepared to undergo a comprehensive background investigation, credit check, and psychological examination. The selected applicant must meet all MCOLES licensing requirements, successfully complete a Field Training Program and a one-year probationary period.
Applications can be dropped off in-person at the police department during normal business hours or can be emailed to Captain Greg Hannewald at firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Northville Police Department
215 W. Main Street
Northville, MI 48167
The City of Northville is an ADA / EOE employer.
Opening Date: 5/10/2023
Closing Date: 9/30/2023