The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Oscoda Township Police Department: Full-time Police Officer (2) vacancies for immediate hire Closing Date: November 30, 2023
May 16, 2023
The Oscoda Township Police Department provides police protection for Oscoda and AuSable Townships. Patrols are scheduled to ensure a minimum of two officers are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to respond to calls for service.
The Police Department serves a population of approximately 9000 and responds to over 4000 calls for service a year.
The patrol coverage area is approximately 163 square miles, and about 35 unique neighborhoods. The patrol area also includes the former Wurtsmith Airforce Base, 60,000 acres of Huron National Forest, 12 miles of Lake Huron shoreline, over 30 miles of the AuSable River, and various lakes and ponds.
Benefits and Pay Range:
- Starting salary of $51,916 with an increase to $57,990 after 12 months. Under the current contract Police Officer salary tops after ten years of service at $67,412.00.
- An applicant with five or more years of MCOLES recognized full time employment as a police officer is eligible to start at the one-year pay scale, and receive the five-year pay scale, $60,153.60, after completion of probation.
- Longevity pay starts after five years of service at 1% and increases further at steps reaching 5% of base pay after 20 years of service.
- Top vacation accrued at 200 hours.
- 36 hours of paid personal leave.
- 8 hours of paid sick leave are accrued per month for a total of 1660 hours. Half of accrued sick leave is paid upon separation of an employee in good standing with ten or more years of service.
- 80 hours of paid maternity / paternity leave.
- $1000.00 uniform and equipment allowance. $280.00 uniform cleaning allowance.
- MESSA ABC Medical Plan with 50% HSA contribution provided by employer yearly. Employer covers complete monthly cost of plan, employees only responsible for HSA contributions of their choice.
- Delta Dental 100/100/85/50 Plan covers 100% of basic dental service up to $2000.00 a year per person.
- MESSA / VSP Preferred Vision Plan covers yearly exams and percentage of corrective lenses.
- MERS B-3 Defined Benefit Pension Plan with a 2.25% Multiplier, with 25 and out provision, no age requirement, and E-2 Pension escalator. All wages including overtime and other pay is included in factoring pension amount. Employees are responsible for a 7% contribution to the pension program.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Enforcement of state laws and township ordinances
- Conducting patrol duties
- Criminal investigations
- Responding to emergencies
- Directing traffic
- Drafting search warrants
Applicants must be MCOLES licensed or immediately eligible for licensing upon employment.
Applicants must be a United States Citizen, not less than 21 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED, and a valid driver’s license.
Applicants are subject to a background investigation of their personal, work, and criminal histories. Applicants are drug tested. Only applicants whose history demonstrates they are prepared for the high personal and professional standard the public demands of police officers succeed.
Applications are available at https://cms9files.revize.com/oscoda/Document%20Center/Documents%20&%20Forms/EmploymentApplicationPDF.pdf
Applications, resumes, and cover letters can be mailed to Chief Mark David, Oscoda Township Police Department 110 S. State St Oscoda, MI 48750 or emailed to Chief Mark David at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening Date: 5/16/2023
Closing Date: 11/30/2023
Oscoda Township Police Department
110 S. State St. Suite 2
Oscoda, MI 48750