The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Sault Ste. Marie Police Department: Patrol Officer Closing Date: December 31, 2023
May 18, 2023
The Sault Ste. Marie Police Department is a full-service law enforcement agency of 24 sworn personnel in Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula. The City of Sault Ste. Marie, home of the world famous Soo Locks, is the second largest city in the UP with a population over 13,000 within 20 square miles. The area boasts of year-round sporting and recreational activities and is a short distance from major attractions such as: Hiawatha National Forest, Tahquamenon Falls, Munuscong Bay, and Whitefish Bay. Sault Ste. Marie is connected to its sister city, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario (population of 75,000), via the International Bridge.
Persons who are currently MCOLES licensed, currently licensable, or those who will become licensable in 2023, may apply. Preference may be given to applicants in the hiring process based on licensable dates.
For information on the position, application and hiring process, please visit https://www.saultcity.com/hr/job-opening/police-officer
Wages and Benefits:
- $5,000 sign on bonus
- Lateral transfer pay-commensurate with years of previous full-time LE experience
- Over 5 years wage-$58,346.90
- Base starting wage-$46,073.75
- Acting-sergeant pay
- Shift differential pay
- Contractual and promotional increases
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance upon date of hire
- Post-Employment Health Benefits (PEHP)
- Life insurance
- Police Defined Pension Retirement | Public Act 345 | 2.6% on the first 27 years of credited service with a maximum benefit of 70% of Final Average Compensation. The employee contributes 7.62% of total pay toward cost of pension.
- Police Patrol pension plan years of service requirement - 20 years!!
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Paid holidays - including birthday
- Annual boot allowance
- Private gym - available on/off duty
- Required residency within 20 miles from City limits (within 30 days of hire)
Opportunities and Specialty Assignments:
- Narcotics Task Force (TRIDENT)
- Sniper Unit
- Snowmobile Patrol
- Bike Patrol
- School Resource Officer
- Evidence Technician
- Accident Investigation & Reconstruction
- Field Training Officer
- Various instructor/trainer assignments - firearms, defensive tactics, ETC.
This search is conducted by an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Credentials accepted until the position(s) are filled.
Closing Date: 12/31/2023
Contact Person: Deputy City Manager Robin Troyer
Website Link: https://www.saultcity.com/hr/job-opening/police-officer