The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Eaton Rapids Police Department: Full-Time Police Cadet/Employed Recruit Closing Date: December 31, 2023
June 10, 2023
The City of Eaton Rapids is currently seeking qualified, community minded, candidates for the position of police cadet. Eaton Rapids is uniquely situated along the Grand River, offering a great small-town atmosphere yet only a short drive to several larger cities. We proudly serve a community of 5200 people. The police department has an authorized strength of ten full-time officers, and part-time officer. This includes a School Resource Officer, Detective, Lieutenant, and a Chief.
The successful candidate will be assigned to a regional law enforcement training academy. The cadet will be required to attend all training courses and maintain appropriate academic and behavioral standards required for successful completion of the program. In addition, they must pass the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards licensing exam. Upon passing of the licensing exam the cadet will be promoted to a full-time patrol officer position with the City of Eaton Rapids.
- Must be 21 years of age at the time of graduation from the police academy.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED, with preference given to those candidates with life/work experience in public safety and/or college degree attained in criminal justice or related field and those that successfully completed an Eaton Rapids Police Department internship program.
- Must possess good moral character as determined by a favorable, comprehensive, and extensive background investigation covering school and employment records, home environment, personal traits and integrity.
- If the candidate has served in the U.S. Military an honorably discharged status is required. (copy of DD-214 must be included in background packet).
- Must be available to work nights, weekends, holidays, and on an overtime basis.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Possess a valid Michigan driver's license with satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to satisfactorily pass a criminal history records check.
- Must present proof of passing MCOLES physical fitness test and reading and writing test at time of interview.
- Satisfactorily complete interview process with the Eaton Rapids Police Department.
- Cadets will receive Health, Dental and Optical Insurance with employee contributing 20% of the premium.
- Current starting hourly rate of pay for a cadet is $20.16. Upon appointment to a full-time patrol officer position, the rate will increase to $22.58 per hour and the employee will receive a comprehensive benefit package as a member of the patrol officers bargaining unit.
Those interested may respond with a resume, cover letter and three references to email@example.com or to the address below. Posting will remain open until filled.
Eaton Rapids Police Department
Attn: Chief Larry Joe Weeks
101 Line St.
Eaton Rapids, MI 48827
The City of Eaton Rapids is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Applicants can go to Police Department - City of Eaton Rapids for more information.