The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Mackinac Island Police Department: Police Officer Closing Date: January 31, 2024
July 14, 2023
Date Needed: ASAP
City: Mackinac Island
Country: United States
Primary Category: Police Officer / Public Safety Officer
Salary: $22.26-$30.08 hourly, DOQ
Type of Position: Seasonal
Education Requirement: High School / GED
Experience Requirement: < 1 year
Description & Details
The Mackinac Island Police Department is seeking applicants for one full-time, sworn, seasonal Police Officer positions for the 2023 season. Mackinac Island has a year-round population of 400-500 residents but as Michigan's top tourist destination may host as many as 15,000 visitors per day during the season. This position offers the opportunity to live and work on "The Jewel of the Great Lakes". Seasonal officers typically live in private bedrooms with private bathrooms in the Police Housing Building (tours available upon request) and share common living areas with other seasonal officers. Rent is automatically deducted from officers' pay at the rate of $150.00 per paycheck (14-day pay periods).
Officers work 12-hour shifts and recreational opportunities abound both on the island and in the surrounding region of Northern Michigan. Seasonal officers are expected to be able to commit to employment from approximately April 15 through approximately November 1st., but these dates can be somewhat flexible. Retired police officers from both Michigan and out-of-state as well as recent academy graduates are encouraged to apply. We are willing to assist in "re-certifying" the right candidate through MCOLES. Excellent interpersonal skills and a service-oriented mindset are crucial in this highly diverse environment.
DUTIES: (Not All-Inclusive):
Responsible for protection of life and property through enforcement of laws and ordinances. Patrols assigned areas, investigates and makes arrests, directs and controls traffic, writes violation tickets, prepares reports, appears in court, provides service and assistance to public, performs related work as assigned.
Must meet one of the following MCOLES standards:
- Currently licensed or considered "licensable" by MCOLES standards. Currently enrolled in a MCOLES certified Police Academy or Police Certification Program with a projected graduation date no later than May15th, 2022 and provide proof of same.
- Applicants At least 21 years of age as of date of filing official application.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Vision correctable to 20/20 with no major defects; normal color vision; normal hearing.
- Able to pass any physical agility test required to determine physical fitness for the performance of duties of position to be filled.
- No prior felony convictions.
- Valid Michigan Driver License with good driving record.
- Out-of-state applicants must provide current driving record at time of application and obtain State of Michigan license within one (1) month of employment.
- Must have taken and passed the MCOLES (or MLEOTC) Pre-employment Test.
- Those who meet these criteria will be invited to an oral interview.
How to Apply / Contact