The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
South Haven Police Department: Police Officer Closing Date: September 1, 2023
July 20, 2023
Work where others play! Located along the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan, the City of South Haven (population 4,038) is seeking qualified candidates for a full-time patrol officer. Come work in a community that supports our officers, has an outstanding school and healthcare system, and provides the enjoyable balance of a quaint small town in the spring, fall and winter, and a bustling destination in the summer.
Our officers proudly provide law enforcement services to citizens residing in and visiting the City of South Haven and South Haven Township.
Typical duties and responsibilities:
- Investigate reports of crimes, accidents, and other incidents.
- Gather, protect, and process evidence.
- Enforce ordinances and statutes, making arrests where appropriate; processing and protecting prisoners as required.
- Providing traffic and parking enforcement and traffic control.
- Responding to other calls for service, such as motorist’s assists, etc.
- Complete all necessary reports, tickets, forms, and in-house paperwork as required.
- Check out suspicious subjects, vehicles, and situations.
- Serve subpoenas and other documents as required.
- Do court work as required, including obtaining warrants, and doing arraignments.
- As appropriate, conduct property checks of businesses, public buildings and areas, and private homes.
- Provide preventive patrol.
Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent, have completed training at an accredited police academy and be MCOLES certifiable no later than September 30, 2023. A bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or related field is preferred. Must possess a valid Michigan driver’s license and very good driving record.
Starting salary is $54,326 with an annual step increase upon employment anniversary for the next four years in addition to the annual salary increase. Shift differential, call back pay, holiday premiums, overtime, compensatory time, and an annual educational incentive for those who hold a bachelor or masters’ degree may be available as well.
Comprehensive Benefit Package:
- MERS B-4 defined benefit pension with COLA
- Excellent medical and dental insurance benefits for employee and eligible dependents
- Employer paid life and disability insurance
- Holidays – 11 per year
- Vacation – starts at 2 weeks per year and tops at 4 weeks per year.
- PTO – 64 hours per year; eligible to accumulate up to 320 hours
- Continuing education – 75% tuition reimbursement
Submit application, cover letter and resume online at www.southhavenmi.gov/human_resources. Questions may be directed to HR Director, Kim Wise, at email@example.com. Deadline to apply is September 1, 2023.