The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Farmington Public Safety Department: Public Safety Officer Closing Date: January 2, 2025
August 02, 2023
The City of Farmington is currently accepting applications for the position of Public Safety Officer. Farmington is a 2.7 square mile city located in Oakland County. The department consists of 23 sworn officers who are all cross trained in police, fire, and emergency medical response. The benefit of cross-training is that it offers unique opportunities not afforded to traditional police/fire departments. These include: Public Safety Officer, Detective, School Resource Officer, Fire Marshal, Evidence Technician, Bike Patrol, Haz-Mat, Incident Management Team, Mobil Field Force, Firearms Instructor, Taser Instructor, Defensive Tactics Instructor, Fire Instructor, Field Training Officer (FTO), with opportunities for promotion to sergeant and commander.
Farmington has a thriving downtown, an excellent school system, and was rated in the top 10 safest cities in Michigan. Farmington Public Safety Department offers a healthy, family oriented, work environment.
Qualified applicants will have attained a minimum of an associate's degree or its equivalent in credit hours if pursuing higher education. Preference will be given to those applicants who are MCOLES licensed/licensable, have obtained Michigan Fire Fighter I and II certification, and are certified as a Medical First Responder or higher medical training.
- $56,351 - $84,502 (2024). Four steps to top pay, laterals will be considered.
- 12-hour shifts, with every other weekend off.
- MERS Defined Benefit Pension (FAC-3), with 2.5 multiplier, to include overtime in final average compensation.
- Retirement Health Care Savings Account (HSA)
- 288 hours of vacation, including 12 holidays (at step four)
- Long and short-term disability plans.
- Very competitive educational incentives to include bachelors and masters degree (100% of tuition covered for qualifying programs)
- Executive leadership training (Police Staff and Command)
- Health Insurance (BCN)
- All uniforms and equipment provided - including external vest carriers.
- Annual uniform allowance
- Longevity Pay - $280.00 at four years with $70.00 increase each year.
- Relaxed tattoo policy.
- Patrol rifle purchase program (Sig SBR with suppressor)
- New Sig P320 handguns with optics
Applications can be downloaded from: https://www.ci.farmington.mi.us/ then click "How Do I Apply for a Job", and then select Public Safety Officer.
If you have any further questions, please contact:
Commander Shane Wash
The City of Farmington is an Equal Opportunity Employer - all applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex or disability.