The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
St. Joseph County: Road Patrol Deputy Closing Date: December 31, 2023
August 30, 2023
As a certified law enforcement officer, patrols the County in order to control traffic, prevent crime or disturbance of the peace. Responds, as directed by the dispatcher or as necessitated by a hazardous situation, to a variety of complaints or calls. Performs the duties of lower classified Department personnel as necessitated by absences, staff shortages, or urgent situations.
The job requires knowledge normally acquired through completion of a high school education. Specialized training beyond high school is desirable such as community college course work in criminal justice, law enforcement and related subjects.
Between six (6) months and one year of on-the-job orientation, training and experience is required to meet the performance standards associated with the job.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and comprehension of rules, regulations, policies, procedures and the law with regard to appropriate officer behavior/response and enforcement activities involving the public are required.
- Knowledge of investigative police techniques, methods and procedures is required.
- Knowledge of controlling laws and ordinances, including the laws of arrest and evidence is required.
- Skill in the use and care of firearms is required. Must be able to shoot both hand and shoulder weapons.
- Knowledge and ability to administer first aid and CPR is required.
- Must pass background investigation.
- The qualifications listed above are guidelines for selection purposes; alternative qualifications may be substituted if sufficient to perform the duties of the job.
- Additional pre-hire requirements must be received.
CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE:
- MCOLES licensure is preferred.
- A valid State of Michigan driver's license.
- Custom Fields
Union Pay Grade-Wage Scale: Starting Wage $24.74 per hour. Wage Range $24.74 - $31.40 per hour. Based on experience.
- Work 12 hour shifts, however some contract cars work 10 hour shifts
- Operate 2021-2023 Chevy Tahoe's
- Equipped with outer vest carriers and lightweight polos
- Provide all equipment needed
Other opportunities are included but not limited too the following jobs:
Please contact Captain TJ Baker at 269-467-9045 ext. 281 to discuss further.
- Major Crimes Task Force
- Crime Scene Technician
- Friend of the Court Deputy
- Accident Investigator
- Narcotics Unit
- Special Response Team
- School Resource Deputy
- Traffic Cars
- Traffic Overtime