The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Grand Valley State University: Police Academy Assistant Director Closing Date: March 31, 2024
September 07, 2023
Required Qualifications and Education:
Previous law enforcement experience.
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
The Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) requires an administrator to be on site during all Police Academy training operations. The Assistant Director (AD) provides support and assistance to the Academy Director in the operation of a law enforcement training program that operates 5 to 6 days per week, 9 to 13 hours per day for 15 weeks.
The AD assists in providing coordination, administrative assistance, and oversight to approximately 50 students and 100 instructors in two academy cohort models per year. Depending upon the operation of police academy programs (Basic & MP Veterans), the AD’s hours are variable and may include both day, evening, and weekend schedules.
Duties & Responsibilities may include:
- Assist with new applicant recruitment and interview process.
- Conduct background investigations on applicants.
- Assist with recruit orientation session.
- Order and maintain appropriate training equipment for each academy.
- Oversee, source, and negotiate training venue & equipment contracts.
- Prepare, proctor, and grade written examinations.
- Assist with proctoring physical fitness testing.
- Assist with conducting instructor evaluations and classroom audits.
- Instruct courses as needed and covering for instructor absences.
- Handle emergency situations that arise during the training (facilitating treatment and transportation for student or instructor injuries)
- Maintain MITN database for MCOLES (documenting cadet details and performance profiles).
- Assist with grant proposal development, project oversight, budgeting, and reporting.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Training Director
Commensurate with experience.
School of Criminology, Criminal Justice, and Legal Studies/College of Education and Community Innovation
How To Apply:
Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you must provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Questions regarding the position should be directed to the Police Academy Director, Geoff Collard, firstname.lastname@example.org of (616) 331-8515. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Review of applications will begin immediately. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
Allendale, Michigan 49401 - (616) 331-5000
For more information about Grand Valley, see our website at www.gvsu.edu
Grand Valley State University is an EOE which includes protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. See http://www.gvsu.edu/affirmative/. TDD Callers: Call Michigan Relay Center at 711 (in State) or 1-800-833-7833 (out of State)