The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Wayne County Airport Authority: Police Officer Closing Date: December 31, 2023
September 26, 2023
Annual Compensation Range $53,810.00 - $77,496 after 4 years
Excellent medical, dental and vision insurance
- Blue Cross PPO
- Health Alliance Plan HMO)
- Basic Life Insurance $30,000 (No employee contribution)
- Flex Saving Plan (pre-tax health care savings)
- AFLAC, Pet Insurance, legal services
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
Retirement Plan includes:
- Defined Contribution Retirement Plan:
- 4% Employee Contribution
- 8% Employer Contribution
- Health Care Savings Plan (HCSP):
- 2% Employee Contribution
- 2% Employer Contribution
Vacation, Personal Business, 14 Holidays & Birthday Holiday (usage after 1 year)
A Brief Overview
Under the direct supervision of an Airport Police Sergeant, performs Peace Officer related duties that include enforcement of State and Local laws, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) mandated Airport Security Plan and Airport Authority Ordinances.
The Police Department is a twenty-four-hour, seven-day operation. Work is generally performed during an eight-hour shift. An employee may find themselves located in a specific job assignment or on patrol in an Airport vehicle for the duration of the shift. Interaction with the general public, as well as Airport personnel can be expected on a regular basis. This position is part of a 24/7/365 day operation which will include: weekends, holidays and overtime.
What you will do
- Patrols Airport property in vehicles and on foot in order to ensure its general safety and prevent criminal activity.
- Responds to calls for assistance, such as passenger screening checkpoint alarms, burglary alarms, assaults, vehicle accidents, and criminal activity.
- Responds to emergency calls occurring on Airport Property such as airplane crashes, serious medical conditions i.e. heart attacks, bomb threats, potential hijacking, etc. Secures the scene of an emergency or crime; renders first aid and Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and assists medical personnel as necessary.
- Conducts field interrogations and interviews witnesses; apprehends and/or arrests persons who violate State and Local laws and regulations; preserves the scene of the crime and evidence; transports and books offenders into a detention facility; participates in investigations; appears in Court to give testimony in arrest or other cases.
- Manages traffic and enforces traffic laws including issuance of Notices to Appear, accident and hit-and-run investigations and impaired driving arrests; directs traffic.
- Provides law enforcement support for pre-flight screening activities in Airport terminals per Airport Ordinances and TSA regulations in order to prevent unauthorized entry of persons or materials into terminal sterile areas, boarding ramps, aircraft or the airfield.
- Performs tasks assigned to specialized units which may include Canine, Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD), Special Response Unit (SRU), Bicycle, ID Technician, ASIU Investigation, to ensure effective performance of duty.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree in criminal justice or a related field, AND must have completed all requirements of MCOLES to become a sworn Michigan Law Enforcement Officer including successful completion of a police academy; OR
- High School Diploma or Certificate of High School Equivalency AND must be a sworn or certifiable Michigan Law Enforcement Officer and meet all employment standards as defined by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES)
- MCOLES licensed or licensable means you have successfully completed a MCOLES Police Academy within the last 12 months or you are currently or previously employed by a Police Department in the State of Michigan.
- Current or previous employment in another State or Federal law enforcement may be considered if applicant qualifies under the State of Michigan MCOLES Recognition of Prior Basic Training and Experience Program or MCOLES Military Police Academy.
- State of Michigan Driver License and a safe, acceptable driving record.
- Have no felony convictions. Other convictions, arrests, and admissions will be reviewed.
- Must qualify for an Airport Security Badge.
- Must pass and maintain the qualifications of the Airfield Competency Test. (within probationary period)
- Please submit proof of MCOLES eligibility/certification, academy completion at time of application.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit any instructor certifications at the time of application.