The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Berkley Public Safety Department: Police Dispatcher/Police Service Aid Closing Date: December 1, 2023
October 19, 2023
Under the supervision of the Lieutenant or other shift commander, receives and dispatches emergency calls. Collects and enters information from the LEIN system, performs a wide variety of administrative and clerical tasks, and interacts effectively with wide range of public safety agencies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Receives, processes and prioritizes all incoming calls and emergencies in the designated service area, and occasionally beyond. Responds to inquiries as appropriate.
- Dispatches fire, ambulance, police, animal control and public works to emergency and non-emergency calls for assistance.
- Utilizes the Michigan Law Enforcement Information Network (LEIN). Makes inquiries and enters and removes warrants, personal protection orders, and conditions of bond and other information.
- Checks LEIN system for criminal records and relays applicable information to other agencies.
- Contacts other police agencies in regard to warrants and other matters.
- Enters impounded and abandoned vehicles in the system or releases them, as appropriate.
- Assists citizens at the front desk.
- Testifies in court related to calls received, as required
REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- A high school diploma or equivalent supplemented by vocational training in computer software and database usage.
- One year of experience as a dispatcher, preferably in a public safety setting preferred but not required.
- Ability to acquire LEIN certification as a condition of hire.
- Ability to work a seven-day, 24 hour/day operational schedule
- Good knowledge of the laws, regulation and policies governing police department functions and other public safety processes.
- Skill in operation of standard office equipment including computers and related word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgement, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with the public and other department and County employees.
- Ability to type and enter data rapidly and accurately.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively under stress, emergency situations, and changes in work priorities.
STARTING PAY $46,987/YEAR. 12 HOUR SHIFTS (7A-7P AND 7P-7A), EXCELLENT BENEFIT PACKAGE, INCLUDES BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD COMMUNITY BLUE PPO (NO EMPLOYEE CONTRIBUTION), VISION DENTAL INSURANCE. DEFINED CONTRIBUTION RETIREMENT WITH EMPLOYER MATCH (6 YEARS TO VEST). EXCELLENT PAYED TIME OFF (VACATION, HOLIDAY, SICK).