The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Delta College: Public Safety Officer – MCOLES Licensed Officer Closing Date: April 30, 2024
October 26, 2023
Status Part-time, Pay grade 5 $22.89 - $25.40 Commensurate with Qualifications and Experience
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
The successful candidate must demonstrate experience, skills, and commitment to fostering an environment of belonging, diversity, equity and inclusion in students, faculty and staff.
Vehicle / Bicycle / Foot: Patrol an assigned area in order to minimize the occurrence of crime, protect the peace, and serve the interests of the College. Respond to calls for police service. Investigate crimes, write detailed reports, protect crime scene, collect and secure evidence. Renders various types of assistance to all involved persons. Patrol the College buildings and grounds to minimize, deter and report safety and security hazards or violations. Patrol assigned roadways and parking lots, investigate irregularities. Facilitate the flow of vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Issue parking and traffic warnings and tickets. Make arrests when necessary.
Respond to Police, Medical and Fire Emergencies. Render Emergency First Aid, evaluate the situation and if necessary request advanced medical personnel. Respond to calls for Police assistance and College security services. Serve subpoenas, warrants and other legal documents issued by the court system or College judicial process. Respond to motor vehicle crashes, direct traffic, police the accident, write report and take appropriate legal action. Assist other agencies when requested.
Investigations / Report writing/Daily activity logs:
Investigate all criminal complaints and citizen concerns as they relate to the College. Prepare detailed reports of criminal and non-criminal complaints, traffic crashes and other complaints investigated. Interview complainants, locate and interview victims, witnesses and suspects.
Complete LiveScan fingerprinting. Work in conjunction with the Prosecutor’s Office, other law enforcement agencies and the College’s Judicial System.
Public Relations / Communications / Preventative Programing/Etc: Provide Services – locked keys in vehicles, escorts, wrecker requests, directions, crime prevention and awareness. Work Dept. Communication area, dispatch, telephone operator, monitor alarm systems. Maintain good understanding of the College functions, general operation, and policies.
- Must possess an Associates degree in Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice, Public Administration or equivalent knowledge and skills.
- Must be licensed or eligible for immediate licensing as a Police Officer by M.C.O.L.E.S
- Possess a valid, unrestricted, Michigan Drivers License.
- Must be able to work independently, with minimal supervision
- Must be able to work with a diverse community, including students, employees, faculty, and visitors
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including: days, afternoons, evenings, weekends, holidays, and overtime
- Must be physically able to perform all of the duties of a police officer, including sitting, standing, walking, running, driving a vehicle, exposure to inclement weather, and brief periods of intense exertion.
- This position is classified as essential personnel and may be required to work when the College is closed.
Applications will be considered as they are received. Applications will remain open until all positions are filled.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTION TO APPLICANTS
Complete an on-line application at https://delta.peopleadmin.com/postings/5898 and attach a cover letter with position title, resume, three current names of professional references, copies of transcripts (official transcripts required upon hire) and/or certifications and licenses.