The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Columbia Charter Township Police Department: Full-time Police Officer Closing Date: May 30, 2024
November 01, 2023
The Columbia Charter Township Police Department, located in Jackson County, is currently accepting applications from qualified candidates for the position of full-time Police Officer.
- Competitive wages (POAM Contract)
- MERS (defined contribution) 457 & 401a plans with up to 10% salary match (20% total)
- MERS Health Care Savings Plan
- Competitive Health Insurance (10% cost share), payment-in-lieu of insurance is 45% of cost of plan, paid monthly.
- Dental/Optical Plan
- $50,000 life Insurance
- Long-term & short-term disability plan
- 96 hours of Paid Time Off (PTO) upon employment, 136 of Paid Time Off hours in the second year of employment with continued scheduled increases annually
- Bereavement leave (3 days) for immediate family
- All uniforms and necessary equipment provided.
- Annual “cleaning allowance” of $400.00
- 10 recognized (paid) holidays.
- Extensive training opportunities
- 12 hours shifts.
Columbia Charter Township is in the southeast corner of Jackson County made up with a population of approximately 7,500 full-time residents. During the warmer months the population increases as seasonal residents return and increased activity within the municipality and surrounding areas. We also participate with contract police services with village of Cement City on our southern border and the Columbia School District.
Columbia Charter Township Police Department is a 24/7/365 agency. We have four marked patrol vehicles that are properly maintained and replaced regularly. Each officer is provided with the necessary equipment needed to properly perform their duties. Columbia Charter Township maintains its technology to a professional standard and provides the necessary training and improvements.
We are allocated 7 full-time officers (two are full-time school resource officer positions), plus the Chief and secretary. Our Township (and Police Department) are in stable financial condition, with a millage partially supporting the Police Department.
- Be a US Citizen
- Pass comprehensive background investigation.
- Possess a valid operator’s license.
- Pass normal hearing/physical/vision drug tests as defined by MCOLES Standards
- Must be MCOLES licensed or eligible for licensing at the time the application is filed.
Interested applicants can contact Chief Jay Niles at 517-592-3122, extension 261, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org