The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Grand Rapids Police Department: Sponsored Police Recruit Closing Date: January 26, 2024
January 12, 2024
This recruitment process is for the selection of candidates to be hired by the City of Grand Rapids in August 2024, at which time selected candidates will be sponsored to attend a designated Police Academy. A mandatory Police Academy Orientation at Grand Valley State University (GVSU), will be held on July 23, 2024. The Police Academy starts on August 26, 2024 and concludes with graduation on December 5, 2024. You must be available for the orientation and entire training academy and pass the MCOLES State Licensing Exam for Police Officers at the end of the academy.
If selected, you will be a paid City of Grand Rapids Police Department employee from the start of the Academy in August 2024 with the expectation that your employment will continue after academy graduation and passing the licensing exam, which would result in promotion to the Police Officer classification.
Grand Rapids Police Officers respond to emergency calls for service on a 24-hour a day basis. These positions perform duties that deter crime, respond to citizen calls for service, protects property, and resolves conflicts between different people. Officers interact with the public on a daily basis.
Police Department 1 Monroe Center St NW Grand Rapids, MI
Permanent - $54,168.00 Annually
Category: Public Safety / Law Enforcement / Safety / Security
Minimum Training and Experience:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a valid driver's license and be able to obtain a Michigan's Driver's license by date of hire.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Some experience involving communicating with people under varying circumstances.
- Ability to pass a background investigation
- Ability to meet MCOLES requirements.
Other Necessary Qualifications:
- Pass MCOLES Reading and Writing Exam
- Pass MCOLES Physical Fitness pre-employment examinations within 180 days of starting a Police Academy
- Other MCOLES minimum requirements reference the following standards: Physical Ability, Hearing standards, Psychological Fitness, Vision/Color standards, Training requirements, Licensing Exam, Fingerprinting, Oral Interview and drug testing.