The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
DeWitt Charter Township: Police Officer Closing Date: February 2, 2024
January 16, 2024
DeWitt Charter Township has two openings for a licensed Police Officer or a Police Recruit to be licensed after successful completion of the Police Academy.
INTEGRITY. ETHICS. SERVICE. DeWitt Charter Township is seeking qualified candidates for the position of full-time police officer or Police Recruit. DeWitt Charter Township is 31 square miles, with a population of 15,466, is located within Clinton County, and is adjacent to the cities of Lansing and East Lansing. DeWitt Charter Township is seeking a self-motivated and hardworking officer/recruit to join our team.
DeWitt Charter Township Police Officers are held to the highest standards of professionalism with an all-encompassing FTO program. Throughout the year, Officers are assigned quarterly training in firearms, defensive tactics, TASER, legal updates and other relevant training. The DeWitt Charter Township Police Department belongs to the Law Enforcement Regional Training Academy and Police 1 Academy, which provide additional in-service training for officers.
Police Officer Information
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Associate degree in criminal justice or a related field is preferred.
- Possess a valid Michigan drivers license.
- Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) licensed or licensable by time of appointment.
- Working knowledge of state and federal laws, local ordinances, and other regulations governing police authority.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with others.
- Starting wage of $25.09 per hour. (Contract in negotiations. 2023 wages listed)
- Top wage for patrol officer is $34.39 after 4 years. (Contract in negotiations. 2023 wages listed)
- Employer paid health, dental, vision insurance, short term disability and long-term disability with no employee contribution.
- Pension: Defined Contribution 10% - No employee contribution required; up to 2% match for 457 deferred compensation account.
- Uniforms, equipment and dry cleaning provided.
- Boot allowance.
- 12-hour shifts.
Police Recruit Information
The Police Recruit position is a police academy student assigned as a temporary employee within the Police Department intended to result in a reclassification to Police Officer, contingent upon the satisfactory completion of the police academy, background checks, and other Township hiring requirements for patrol officers.
Recruits are required to attend formal training classes at the Mid-Michigan Police Academy, or a similar Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) approved facility in preparation for reclassification to Police Officer. Recruits are required to complete all academy training assignments and perform other duties as required.
DeWitt Charter Township will sponsor said candidate to an MCOLES approved facility. Recruit wages are $16.49 - $21.44/hour, depending on qualifications. This temporary position is not eligible for benefits, except as required by law.
Requirements include the following:
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be a Citizen of the United States.
- Must meet initial employment requirements as established by DeWitt Charter Township and MCOLES.
- Valid Michigan Vehicle Operator's License.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Associate's degree in a related police field is preferred.
- Must have no prior felony convictions.
- Must qualify and have the ability to attend a police academy sanctioned by MCOLES and become licensed by MCOLES.
- Ability to develop skill in the use of firearms.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with others while using various equipment and methods.
- Ability to successfully interact with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities and meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to use initiative and independent judgment within established policy guidelines.
- Ability to cope with adverse situations firmly, courteously, and with respect for individual rights.
- Ability to remember names, faces and details of incidents.
- Ability to acquire knowledge of modern approved principles, practices and procedures of police work, state laws, Township ordinances, and the geography of the Township and the location of important buildings.
- Ability to use basic office equipment such as telephone, calculator, photocopier, fax and computer with applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, and email/internet/world wide web, as well as police communication equipment.
Because Police Recruits will potentially be hired as Police Officers upon successful completion of all MCOLES and Township requirements for licensed law enforcement officers, Police Recruits are expected to meet the physical and work environment demands of the Police Officer position.
Deadline: Noon, Friday, February 2, 2024 Submit Resume and Cover Letter to:
DeWitt Charter Township
ATTN: Personnel Director
1401 West Herbison Road
DeWitt, MI 48820
Or email to email@example.com