The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Ferndale Police Department: Police Officer Closing Date: May 1, 2024
February 01, 2024
Starting Salary: $55,612.95/yr. (Lateral Pay Available)
Maximum Salary: $76,449.76/yr
Excellent medical, dental and vision insurance and 96 hours for vacation effective date of hire. Additional paid personal and sick leave. Retirement plan includes 401a and Retiree Health Savings plan. FEPD will sponsor candidates through the police academy or will hire unsponsored police candidates during the academy. 12-hour shifts, relaxed grooming standards & outer vest carriers.
DUTIES (Not All-Inclusive):
Responsible for the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Patrols assigned areas, investigates and makes arrests, directs and controls traffic, writes violation tickets, prepares reports, appears in court, provides service and assistance to public, performs related work as assigned.
Includes OCSO SWAT, Detective Bureau, Downtown Resource Officer, FBI Taskforce, DEA Taskforce, Oakland County Narcotics Team, Field Training Officer, Mobile Field Force, and Honor Guard. Optional overtime includes bar detail, special events, and traffic enforcement.
- At least 18 years of age as of date of hire. Must be a United States citizen.
- Vision correctable to 20/20 with no major defects; normal color vision; normal hearing.
- Able to pass any physical agility test required to determine physical fitness for the performance of duties of the position to be filled.
- Minimum two years of college (60 credits), OR four years of active military duty with an honorable discharge OR one year of sworn law enforcement experience with probation completed.
- Passed the MCOLES reading and physical test before starting the academy (not required to interview)
- No prior felony convictions.
- Valid Michigan Driver License.
- Those who meet these criteria will be invited to an oral interview.
Will consist of application review, background investigation, psychological evaluation, pre-employment physical and drug screen in addition to the written test and interview.
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates must complete a City of Ferndale application at https://www.ferndalemi.gov/jobs.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The City of Ferndale is committed to providing equal opportunity employment to all applicants. The City of Ferndale will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of race, religion, color, sex, height, weight, marital status, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal and state law.