The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Village of Romeo: Police Chief Closing Date: February 23, 2024
February 06, 2024
The Village of Romeo, Michigan, is seeking a full-time Police Chief. At just over 2 square miles, the Village is a close-knit, small-town community made up of residential, commercial, and industrial properties. It is located on the northern edge of Macomb County with the main crossroads of 32 mile and M53, and a population of 3,700 residents.
The Village of Romeo Police Department provides full-service policing, including items such as the enforcement of ordinances and support during local festivals and parades. The Police Chief is appointed by the Village President, with confirmation by Village Council, and reports to the Village President. A continued good working relationship with the Romeo Community Schools will be expected as located within Village boundaries is the RCS Administration building, the Early Childhood Center, one of the five Elementaries, and has an SRO at Romeo Middle.
The Police Chief manages day to day operations and is responsible for all resources and programs of the police and dispatch departments, while overseeing a combined Police and Dispatch annual budget of approximately $1.3 million. The Department includes the Chief, eight (8) full-time officers, 1 (one) full-time school resource officer, and four (4) full-time dispatchers. The Chief is expected to be available as needed to fulfill the duties of the position and will generally be available during regular Village Office business hours.
Minimum Qualifications and Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Licensed as a police officer by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) along with a valid State of Michigan Driver?s License with a satisfactory driving record.
- Proven knowledge to lead the police department as demonstrated by one or more of the following:
- Bachelors in criminal justice or related field
- Specialized law enforcement leadership training, such as the Staff and Command Course
- Demonstrated leadership with a police or public safety department
- Ten or more years of progressively responsible experience in the law enforcement field, including supervisory/command and administrative duties.
- Skills in equipment, computers, and related software.
- Ability to communicate effectively, maintain records and reports, and handle highly sensitive and confidential information under stressful and dangerous emergency situations.
- The desire and ability to fulfill the duties of a patrol officer, both independently and as back-up for other officers, as needed given the size of the department.
Starting salary is $80,000 - $85,000 (DOQ) with an excellent competitive benefit package.
To apply email cover letter, resume, five professional references, and contact information by posting close date February 23rd at 4:30pm to:
Village of Romeo
President Meagan Poznanski
Any questions or inquiries regarding the position can be made to the attention of Meagan Poznanski, Village of Romeo President at 586-752-3565 ext. 3.
The Village of Romeo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.