The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Madison Heights Police Department: Police Officer Closing Date: August 8, 2024
February 08, 2024
TOP PAY WITH TOTAL COMPENSATION: $91,729 (July 1, 2025)
$2,500 SIGNING BONUS & TOP PAY AFTER 12 MONTHS FOR ALL NEW HIRES
Accelerated starting wages for Police Officers with prior experience
Bonuses included in Total Compensation:
- Annual Uniform allowance
- Annual Weapons Proficiency Bonus
- Annual Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA)
- Annual Holiday Bonus
- Annual Education Bonus
- Defined Benefit Pension System with a 2.5% multiplier
- 4% towards HCSP
- Age 52 with 25 years of service
- Up to 200 hours paid vacation per year
- Up to 64 hours paid personal leave per year
- Up to 96 hours sick leave accrued per year
- Up to 104 hours SAT time accrued per year
Other Great Benefits:
- 12 Hour Shifts
- Ample opportunities for overtime
- Holiday pay for holidays worked
- External body armor provided
- Departmental policy allowing tattoos and well-groomed beards
- Opportunity to work in numerous specialized units and assignments such as Special Investigations Unit (SIU), FBI Task Force, Detective Bureau, Evidence Technician, K-9 Unit, Motor Unit, Bicycle Patrol Unit, Field Training Officer, Motor Carrier Unit, Recruitment Unit, Quick Response Team (QRT)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance OR annual opt out incentive
- Free on-campus primary care health services and free generic prescriptions
What do you need to apply?
- Minimum Age 18
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must not have six or more active points on driving record
- Able to successfully pass a post-offer departmental criminal, civil and background investigation to the satisfaction of the department
- Able to successfully pass a post-offer pre-employment physical and drug screen, and psychological examination
An employee in this class, upon employment, will be required to enter into and successfully complete all necessary training, including in-service training with Madison Heights Police Department and other schools to which the employee may be assigned. All employees shall receive such further training as shall be deemed necessary by the Madison Heights Police Department or mandated by the State of Michigan or United States Government.
Additional requirements that are desired (not required for application but required at time of hire) are:
- Minimum Associate’s Degree or higher, sixty (60) credit hours from a fully accredited college or university, OR honorable discharge from one of the United States Military Service Branches, OR minimum 3 years prior experience as a Police Officer at a qualifying Department
- Police Academy graduation, unless sponsored by the City
- Compliance with all of the Employment Standards for Michigan Law Enforcement Officers established by MCOLES.
Preference will be given to those candidates who have graduated from the Police Academy and who are compliant with MCOLES standards. Highest preference will be given to those candidates who possess all desired qualifications and who are current sworn officers with no previous disciplinary issues.
All candidates will be required to interview with the Police Chief and/or an interview panel of his choosing before a conditional job offer is made.
Click the following link: https://mi-madisonheights.civicplushrms.com/AtsResources/Client/ae4af662-355c-4e9b-b865-75dc5ad3c644/Documents/Police%20Officer%20final.pdf for a complete job description - be sure to upload licenses/certifications/proof of education or military discharge with your application!
Madison Heights Residency is NOT Required.
I-9 must be completed at time of hire for submittal to E-Verify.