Wholesale Potato Dealer Details, FAQ's, and Forms
Expires: June 1st of each year
Fee: Licensing fee - $100, License copy - $5, ID card - $5
Contact: Jeff Haarer, 517-284-5642
Forms: Wholesale Potato Dealer license application, Letter of credit, Letter of bond
The Wholesale Potato Dealer Licensing program is designed to protect Michigan potato farmers from losses due to a wholesale potato dealer's failure to pay for potatoes purchased. All wholesale potato dealers who are required to be licensed must post a bond or letter of credit with the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development (MDARD). Should a wholesale potato dealer fail to pay the farmer, MDARD may file against their letter of credit or bond. Between 18-21 wholesale potato dealers are licensed by MDARD each year.
1. Who must be licensed as a wholesale potato dealer?
Anyone who buys potatoes in wholesale lots directly from a Michigan grower or grower cooperative or who sells or handles those potatoes in wholesale lots for the purpose of processing or resale to other wholesale potato dealers, retailers, restaurants, hotels, institutions, or hospitals.
2. Who is exempt from licensing?
- Growers or grower cooperatives that buy or receive only seed potatoes from another grower or grower cooperative's own planting.
- Wholesale potato dealers who do not sell or handle potatoes in wholesale lots for the purpose of processing or resale to other wholesale potato dealers, retailers, restaurants, hotels, or institutions and who buys an aggregate amount of less than 30,000 pounds of potatoes during each calendar month of a calendar year are also exempt from the act for the following calendar year.
3. How Can I Obtain a License?
In order to obtain a license, applicants must:
- Complete an MDARD Wholesale Potato Dealer license application.
- Surety or lending institute must complete a letter of credit or a letter of bond.
- Mail the completed Wholesale Potato Dealer License application, a Letter of credit, or a Letter of bond and the licensing fee before June 1st of each year to:
Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development
Fruit and Vegetable Inspection Program
Pesticide and Plant Pest Management Division
Attention: Jeff Haarer
P.O. Box 30017
Lansing, MI 48909
4. How much is the Licensing Fee?
Licensing fee - $100.00
Each certified copy of license - $5.00
Agent/Buyer identification card - $5.00
5. Where can I get a copy of the Wholesale Potato Dealers Act 158 of 1964?
The Wholesale Potato Dealers' Act can be found on the Michigan Legislative website.
6. Where can I find a list of Licensed Wholesale Potato Dealers?
MDARD maintains a list of licensed wholesale potato dealers on its website.
7. How do I file a complaint against a licensed Wholesale Potato Dealer for failure to pay for potatoes purchased from my farm?
- Gather supporting documentation.
- Contact Jeff Haarer at 517-284-5642, or by Email.