Grade "A" Milk Plant License Details & FAQ

Who needs a license?

If you want to process milk or milk products into any Grade "A" products you are required to have a Grade "A" milk plant license, regardless of the size of the plant of the volume of the products.

What fees are required? How long is the license good for? Is it pro-rated?


How do I apply for a license?

An individual should apply for a license by using the application form DY-306.

Are there any special requirements to obtain a license?

Yes.  An inspection is required.  In addition there are a number of other requirements, which may include, but are not limited to, labeling requirements, pasteurization, drug screening and producer security.  Download "Summary of Requirements for Michigan Dairy Plants" (DY-378) for more helpful information.

Who do I contact for an inspection?

An individual who is interested in operating a milk transportation company should contact the Lansing office at 800-292-3939.

Procedures for starting a Grade "A" Dairy Plant in accordance with the
Grade "A" Milk Law of 2001

(The links below require Adobe's free Acrobat Reader to view.)

There are several steps to starting a Grade "A" Dairy Plant.

  • Read "Summary of Requirements for Michigan Dairy Processing Plants" DY 378

  • Contact the Lansing Office at 800-292-3939 to locate the inspector for your area.

  • Work with your local inspector to review construction plans, sanitary piping plans and other Grade "A" Pasteurized Milk Ordinance requirements.

  • Complete application DY-306.

  • Producer Security is required for all Grade "A" plants that are a first receiving point for raw milk that is going to be processed at that facility.  Because the plant takes title (possession) of the raw milk for processing, the plant is responsible for it and must have producer security prior to any shipments being made into the plant.  Also prior to any shipments being received at the plant, the Lansing office must approve all forms of producer security.

  • Information on Producer Security requirements

  • Any changes to plant plans or operational procedures should be reviewed with the local inspector before implementation.

  • Have an approved Grade "A" Milk Plant inspection done by your local inspector.

  • For further information take a look at forms DY-307 and DY-366
    These may or may not apply to your specific situation.

  • Requests for additional information can be emailed to

  • Some construction plan tips

Grade "A" Pasteurized Milk Ordinance of 2007