Food Establishment Licensing Step-by-Step Guide
- Determine which agency licenses the food establishment. If the food establishment in question falls directly under Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development (MDARD) jurisdiction, continue with the rest of these steps.
- Before construction on the food establishment begins (when applicable) make sure to check local zoning ordinances to ensure local regulations allow for such an establishment.
- Acquaint yourself with the
In addition, one or more of the following regulations may be applicable to your specific establishment plan:
- Manufacturing, Packing or Holding Human Food
- Thermally Processed Low-Acid Foods Packaged in Hermetically Sealed Containers
- Acidified Foods
- Fish and Fishery Products
- Processing and Bottling of Bottled Drinking Water
- Michigan Smoked Fish Regulation
- Contact MDARD to set up a free plan review by mail or phone as shown below.
- Go to the Plan Review Resources webpage. Fill out a Plan Review Worksheet and Plan Review Application. Be sure to review the plan submission instructions and manual.
- Once plans have been reviewed and approved, and construction is complete, contact MDARD by mail or phone as shown below, to set up a final inspection. At this point you should also fill out the Food Establishment Licensing Application.
For questions or further information mail or phone:
Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development
Food and Dairy Division
PO Box 30017
Lansing, MI 48909