Business Requirements for Weights and Measures Service Agencies and Personnel
Registration of service agencies and personnel is required in order for service personnel to place all manner of commercial weighing and measuring devices into service; remove official rejection tags; and return "condemned" devices to service.
In order to become a registered service agency with registered service personnel, all of the following requirements must be met:
- Successfully complete or demonstrate completion of NIST Handbook 44 examination
- Successfully complete or demonstrate completion of Michigan Weights and Measures Act (P.A. 283) examination
- Successfully complete or demonstrate completion of device specific examinations for which registration is being sought
- Present documentation verifying possession of certified test standards
Who is required to be registered?
All service persons/agencies repairing, calibrating, or installing commercial weighing and measuring devices in the state of Michigan that desire to place in service or return to service a weighing or measuring device.
Each registration is for a term of 2 years from date of issuance. The registration may be renewed by meeting the same requirements as for a new license. Additional testing will be required every four years per State of Michigan law, or at lesser intervals if major revisions have been made to the applicable device category. Registrations that have lapsed 12 months or more beyond the expiration date will require application and testing for all applicable exams to become registered.
A $300 registration fee per service company/agency and a $100 registration fee per service person submitted to the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development along with:
- A new or renewal application Note: A separate application needs to be filled out and sent in for the agency and each serviceperson that is being registered (unless you are a sole serviceperson agency).
- Documentation detailing the possession of certified test standards
Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development
Weights and Measures Program
940 Venture Lane
Williamston, MI 48895
LB182 - Serviceperson Registration Application
LB183 - Place In Service Report