Bulk Storage Registration Requirements

Who needs to register?

Each new, existing, and proposed commercial pesticide and/or fertilizer bulk storage facility is required to register annually with the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development.

What is considered Bulk?

Bulk Pesticide: 

  1. > 55 gallons individual quantity
  2. > 100 lbs individual quantity 
  • includes minibulks
  • includes solutions and rinsates 

Minibulk Pesticide:  

  • Undivided quantity ranging from 55 to 400 gallons
Bulk Fertilizer:  
  1. > 2,500 gallons individual quantity
  2. > 7,500 gallons combined total
  3. > 2,000 lbs individual quantity
  • includes solutions and rinsates 

What does it cost to be registered?

There is no fee required to register.

How do I apply for a registration?

Download and print the information and instructions and the Application for Agrichemical Storage Facility Registration and Aboveground Tank Inventory Form.

There are 4 parts to the registration process:

  1. Application Form
  2. Discharge Response Plan
  3. Site Plan
  4. Aboveground Tank Inventory Form

Follow the directions on pages 2-3 of the application for specific information about each part. A copy of the Discharge Response Plan (emergency response plan) must be kept at the storage facility, but does not need to be submitted to MDARD. Use the Agrichemical Bulk Storage Registration - Registration Package Check-Off List as a guide to make sure all of the proper items are submitted to MDARD.

Mail the completed application, inventory form, and site plan to:

Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
Pesticide & Plant Pest Management Division
Specialty Fertilizers/Bulk Storage Section
P.O. Box 30017
Lansing, MI 48909

What kinds of records need to be kept on file at the facility?

A registered facility is required to keep an updated copy of their registration packet (application, site plan, and inventory list) and discharge response plan on site. Each storage facility also needs to keep inspection and maintenance records. Use the Pesticide Bulk Storage Facility Summary - Inspection Recordkeeping Requirements Check-Off List as a guide for the fertilizer and pesticide recordkeeping requirements.

When do Bulk Storage Registrations expire?

All registrations expire on December 31 and must be renewed on a yearly basis.

How do I renew my Bulk Storage Registration?

A renewal application will be placed in the U.S. mail by the end of November for all registered storage facilities. If there were no modifications to the facility in the past year, simply complete the first page of the application and return. If modifications have occurred in the last year, complete the first page of the application and attach the changes. Registrants who have not received their application by December 15th should contact MDARD at 517-284-5761 or 800-292-3939.

What should I do if there are changes in company, ownership, name, or address?

Any change in the ownership of a firm that is registered will require an application for a new registration. Firms with a change of name and/or address will need to send written notification to MDARD so records can be updated accordingly.