Helping You Protect the Food Once It's Home
You and the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development (MDARD) are partners in insuring that your food is protected once it's at your home. Here are ways the MDARD is making sure you and your family have safe food.
- Call 1-800-292-3939 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a question or problem with your food when you get it home from the grocery store. The MDARD will connect you with the expert you need to help you with your problem.
- The Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development releases information to the media and on our website on issues that affect the food you bring home. To find out which foods have been recalled, go to "Food Recalls".
- Clean: Wash your hands and surfaces involved with food frequently.
- Separate: Cross contamination is how bacteria can spread from one food to another. Keep raw meat, poultry and seafood and their juices away from ready-to-eat foods.
- Cook: Cook food-particularly meats and eggs--to proper temperatures.
- Chill: Refrigerate promptly. Set your refrigerator no higher than 40°F and the freezer unit at 0°F.
- When you bring food home, sometimes you will use it to make a picnic, barbeque or meals for camping.