The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Office of Rural Development (ORD)
In January 2022, Governor Gretchen Whitmer established the Office of Rural Development within MDARD via Executive Directive 2022-01 to focus on the strategic needs of rural Michigan, including economic and workforce development, infrastructure, public health, and environmental sustainability.
The Office of Rural Development has the following responsibilities, among others:
- Collaborate with the Michigan Economic Development Corporation and other stakeholders on rural economic development;
- Collaborate with the Michigan State Housing Development Authority to facilitate rural affordable housing development;
- Promote sustainability, environmental preservation, and green energy development;
- Address the ramifications of population and demographic trends in rural Michigan;
- Analyze and provide guidance on education-related issues affecting rural communities;
- Collaborate with the Michigan High-Speed Internet Office to facilitate expansion of high-speed internet connections in rural communities; and,
- Coordinate with tribal leaders in this state on issues facing rural Michigan.