Skip to main content

Camels and Llamas

General Information

New World (Lamas, Alpacas, Vicuna and Guanaco) and Old World (Bactrian, Dromedary and Arabian)

Camelid - includes and refers to all New World and Old World Camels and Llamas listed above.

Back to top

Coming into Michigan from Another State (import)

Note: if you are planning to exhibit an animal of this type, there may be additional rules. View exhibition rules here.

1. Camelids must have an official interstate certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) filled out by a USDA accredited veterinarian in the animal's state of origin.

  • Please note that Michigan does not issue entry permits for camelids to be imported.  Therefore, no permit number is required to be written on the interstate certificate of veterinary inspection.

2. Camelids must have Official identification

  • The interstate CVI must include the official identification number of each animal.
  • Official Identification Options:
    • NUES Ear Tag (metal or plastic).
    • Animal Identification Number (AIN) 840 tag (with or without RFID).
    • Microchip
      • Microchips implanted into animals of U.S. origin on or after March 11, 2015 must have a 15-digit number that begins with 840.

    3. New world camelids (Lamas, Alpacas, Vicuna and Guanaco) six months of age and older coming permanently into Michigan must have had a negative Brucellosis test within 30 days. Test date and negative result must be recorded on the CVI.

  • Exception: Castrated males do not need a Brucellosis test.

4. Check local ordinances for any further regulations or requirements that may apply.

Back to top

Exhibition (Show, demonstration or display) Requirements

1. Camelids moving within the state of Michigan for Exhibition:

  • There are no specific intrastate movement requirements.

2. Camelids being imported from out of state for Exhibition:

  • A completed interstate CVI meeting requirement state above in interstate import requirements.
  • Official Identification (see Official ID Options listed above under import requirements).

3. Contact the fair, show, or exhibition authorities for any additional requirements.

Back to top

Moving within Michigan (intrastate)

Note: if you are planning to exhibit an animal of this type, there may be additional rules. View exhibition rules here.

There are no specific requirements for intrastate movement.

Back to top

Leaving Michigan to go to Another State (export)

Please contact the state of destination. AHO contact information by State.

Back to top

International Movement

Please visit USDA's pet travel website.

Back to top