UPDATED Public Notice - January 25, 2021 Civil Rights Commission Meeting
Michigan Civil Rights Commission
Notice of Public Meeting
Monday, January 25, 2021 at 5 P.M.
The public meeting will be held virtually.
Pursuant to the Michigan Open Meetings Act, as amended, the Michigan Civil Rights Commission will meet virtually using videoconferencing on Monday, January 25, 2021 at 5 P.M.
The Commission meeting may be viewed in the following manner:
Via Zoom: To participate online via Zoom, click this link below to join the webinar:
To join by phone: 888 808 6929 US Toll-free
Access code: 108652
To be consistent with how Public Comment is handled for in-person meetings:
- All time limits set by the meeting Chair will still be enforced.
- After the Chair ends submission of public comments, members of the public will not be able to speak at the meeting.
- All interested persons are invited to be present and be heard as to their views.
- Facebook: To view the meeting live on Facebook, go to: https://facebook.com/midcr
- YouTube: To view the meeting live on YouTube, go to: https://bit.ly/3lIjOqg
Note on Public Comment: People viewing the meeting on Facebook or YouTube will not have the ability to take part in Public Comment period. If you wish to make a public comment, please join the meeting via Zoom or by telephone.
During the meeting, members of the news media only should direct questions to Vicki Levengood by email at email@example.com or by phone/text at 517-775-0558.
Those who need mobility, visual, hearing, foreign language, written and/or other assistance for effective participation may request an accommodation by calling 800-482-3604 or e-mail at MDCR-INFO@michigan.gov at least two (2) business days prior to the meeting. Requests received after that date cannot be guaranteed, but efforts will be made to provide the accommodation requested. ASL Interpreters have been secured for Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals, and the meeting will be captioned.
MICHIGAN CIVIL RIGHTS COMMISSION MEETING
Monday, January 25, 2021 at 5 P.M.
Virtual Meeting: Zoom, You Tube and Facebook Livestream
I. CALL TO ORDER / ROLL CALL – Chair Stacie Clayton
II. SWEARING IN OF NEW COMMISSIONERS
III. APPROVAL OF MEETING AGENDA
IV. OPENING MATTERS
A. Welcome – Chair Clayton
B. Recognition of Significant Days in January – Commissioner Combs
- National Day of Racial Healing in Michigan (1/19)
- National Holiday - Birthday of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (1/18)
- Fred T. Korematsu Day in Michigan (1/30)
C. Public Comment Protocol – Deputy Director Engelman
D. Acknowledgement of former Commissioners Laura Reyes Kopack, Jeffrey Sakwa, and Denise Grim
E. Resolution/Tribute for Judge Dalton Roberson, Sr.
F. Resolution/Tribute for Sheriff Benny Napoleon
G. Election of 2021 Officers (ROLL CALL VOTING ACTION)
V. ADOPTION OF CONSENT AGENDA
The following items from the agenda have been identified as those that may not require Commission discussion prior to being adopted or received. Items may be removed from the consent agenda on the request of any Commission member. Items not removed will then be moved for adoption by general consent without debate.
CONSENT AGENDA (IX. DIVISION REPORTS)
- *Public Affairs / Budget Report, Mary Engelman
- *Legislative Affairs Report, Dan Levy
- *Enforcement Division Report, Lori Vinson
- *Office of Legal Affairs Report, Marcelina Trevino
- *ADA Compliance Report, Kim Woolridge
- *Racial Equity Report, Alfredo Hernandez
- *Business and Community Affairs Report, Anthony Lewis
- *Community Engagement Unit Report, Mark Bishop
- *Division on Deaf, Deaf Blind and Hard of Hearing Report, Annie Urasky
- *Reconsideration Report, David Stringer
VI. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
[ ] Meeting Minutes from November 23, 2020 Meeting
[ ] Meeting Minutes from November 23, 2020 Special Meeting
VII. PUBLIC COMMENT
VIII. GUEST PRESENTATIONS
A. Commission on Middle Eastern American Affairs
B. Asian Pacific American Affairs Commission
C. Michigan Women’s Commission
D. Hispanic/Latino Commission
E. Black Leadership Advisory Council
IX. DIVISION AND OTHER REPORTS
A. Division Reports
- Enumerations Study Update
- Update on Education Equity in Michigan Report Recommendations
B. Executive Director Report, James White
C. Attorney General Report, Ron Robinson
X. COMMISSION BUSINESS
A. Chair Report, Stacie Clayton
B. Select Date for Instructional Retreat (VOTING MATTER)
- March 5 or 10
XI. NEW BUSINESS
XII. COMMISSIONER CLOSING COMMENTS
The proposed draft minutes are a summary, not a transcript, of the Commission’s meetings. According to the Open Meetings Act, “the minutes must show the date, time, place, members present, members absent, any decisions made at a meeting open to the public, and the purpose(s) for which a closed session is held; the minutes must also include all roll call votes taken at the meeting.”
The Board may, at its discretion, revise this agenda or take up any other issues as needed, and time allows.
* Items identified by an * are anticipated to be adopted as part of the Consent Agenda and will be separate part of agenda only if removed prior to the Consent Agenda’s adoption.
[ ] Items identified with an empty checkbox require a majority vote for adoption.