File a Discrimination Complaint

To start an inquiry because you believe someone discriminated against you in violation of civil rights laws, click File a Discrimination Complaint. A customer service representative will contact you to answer your questions, discuss your concern in detail to determine if a complaint will be taken, or to suggest alternatives to address your concern.

If you do not hear from a customer service representative within three (3) business days, please contact our Intake Unit (toll-free) at 800-482-3604 to protect the timeliness of your filing rights.