Skip to main content

May I use FMLA Family Care Leave if my child is over the age of 18?

In some circumstances, yes. Under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), you may request a leave for your adult child if they are incapable of self-care because of a mental or physical disability. Under the FMLA, a disability is a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of the patient.

For questions on adult-child qualifications, contact the Disability Management Office (DMO) at 877-766-6447, option 2.