The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
How do I continue my health, dental, vision, and life insurances while on a Maternity Leave if I am not enrolled in Long Term Disability (LTD) and I am covered under FMLA?
Your health, dental, vision, and dependent life insurance premiums will continue to be deducted from your paycheck while you use leave credits and remain on payroll.
Once you are no longer receiving a paycheck, the Employee Benefits Division (EBD) will mail you a (CS-1820) Application to Continue Insurances that includes the plans (health, dental, vision, and life) that are eligible for continuation. You must select the insurance plans you wish to continue and return the application to EBD.
- Health, dental, and vision coverage will be extended through the last day of the pay period of when your FMLA ends.
- If you are no longer receiving a paycheck while covered under FMLA, your coverage for health, dental, and vision will continue and your share of premiums will be deducted from your paycheck once you return to work.
- If FMLA exhausts and you elected to continue any plans on the CS-1820 form, EBD will mail an invoice and you will be responsible for making a direct payment for coverage to continue.
- Employee and dependent life insurance coverage will stop at the end of the pay period of your last day paid.
- If life insurance was selected on the CS-1820, an invoice will be mailed from EBD to continue the coverage.
If you have questions on the Application to Continue Insurances form (CS-1820), contact EBD at 1-800-505-5011.