The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
How do I apply for a Parental Leave?
To apply for a Parental Leave, you must:
- Complete and submit the Leave of Absence Application form to the Disability Management Unit (DMU).
- Submit proof of birth or court documentation verifying the adoption or placement of the child to the DMU.
- Completed forms may be faxed or mailed to the DMU:
Fax: (517) 241-9926
Mail: Disability Management, PO BOX 30003, Lansing, MI 48909
Follow your department's normal timekeeping procedures until the DMU has approved your leave. You are encouraged to notify your supervisor of your request for a Parental Leave.
- Email your supervisor and HR office of your request for leave.
- Mail you a letter providing your available FMLA entitlement.
- Mail you a letter of approval or denial of the leave request.
If Parental Leave immediately follows your maternity leave, you must submit a medical release from your physician stating that you are released to return to work without restriction prior to starting the Parental Leave.
If you need to start your leave earlier than anticipated, you should contact the DMU as soon as practicably possible at 877-443-636.
Untimely notice or incomplete forms may cause a delay in the processing of your leave of absence.